Hello, need help with my galvanized stock pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have set up a new 7.5'x 2' round galvaniced stock tank. On a sand base for proper drainage/airflow. Have had it running for 3 weeks now and I am getting a white substance building up in it? Will show it in picture. I was hoping to add fish soon but not until I'm 100% sure it's safe. There is a white film on the inside, it comes off easily, and sinks to the bottom in the white piles. I have had the water tested and was told it was ok for fish but I'm hesitant.
Any one ever had this issue???
advice needed!
Thanks!!
20180710_211118.jpg
20180710_211057.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Did you wash the inside of the tank first? Could it be the chemicals used in galvanizing? Did you coat the inside of the tank first? Looks like it will make a very pretty water garden when the plants get growing. You might want to read up on galvanized tanks used for fish. I think there are some people who don't have a problem, but many (including me) cannot keep fish alive in a galvanized tank. As I recall, it has something to do with the zinc. But I didn't do a careful job of washing the tank and/or sealing it first. It is still kind of a gray area in terms of "is it safe or not?" See what others have to say. Regardless -- it is a great setting and is going to be really pretty!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
chemical reaction between the tank and fertilizers from the plants also .Not good for fish they will end up dead .Hate to say it but it is very true

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm going to look into sealing it, is it just a pond sealant or pond paint that I would need?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a pretty pond this will be!

And yes - it's basically a paint on rubberized product which will make this safe for your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gut it needs to cure for awhile in dry conditions .It is just like cement it gets stronger the longer it cures .There is a company that also makes custom preformed liners that have soft sides or hard sides .I saw it on you tube

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project, it will be very pretty in the end and worth all the work! :)

Ask a Question