Hello Pond People ;-)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have newly become a fish mommy, I have raised the two legged kids and the four legged kids but never no legged kids.
Recently bought a home with a Koi pond. There are four Koi 5 or six inches at least four frogs.
I know absolutely nothing about this but am looking forward to learning.

There is so much muck in this pond I'm afraid to clean to even pull out the dying lily for fear of choking the fish??
Before & Now pics - one month and plant was infested with aphids I think and just dissolving into the water???
So many questions not even sure where to start.
8-5-17 Before.JPG
NOW  9-17-17.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond is very nice, but it looks a bit small for 5 koi....do you know how many gallons it is?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond is very nice, but it looks a bit small for 5 koi....do you know how many gallons it is?
Not sure looks to be about 4 ft square probably about 500 gallons and its old and cracked leaks water we have to add water every couple days. Its 4 Koi and they are very small 5 or 6 " .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well if it already need work, would you consider enlarging it?
If so, I suggest you go as large as you can afford to go, or you'll be re doing it like many of us have done
I did mine 3 times! Went from 1000, to 1,500 to 3000...should have built it this large to begin with!
smstress.gif

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not sure looks to be about 4 ft square probably about 500 gallons and its old and cracked leaks water we have to add water every couple days. Its 4 Koi and they are very small 5 or 6 " .
Welcome and are you certain they are Koi and not goldfish. Many goldfish look very similar but whatever they are the pond itself is a bigger priority. Regardless of size , I notice you have a waterfall, does it work? How much water do you have to add? Are you using tap or well water? Is there any pump running?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-18_15-35-40.gif
@Dede
For now it's big enough for those small koi but ya better start digging cuz they grow fast :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well if it already need work, would you consider enlarging it?
If so, I suggest you go as large as you can afford to go, or you'll be re doing it like many of us have done
I did mine 3 times! Went from 1000, to 1,500 to 3000...should have built it this large to begin with!View attachment 104479
Just want to keep it healthy for now, will consider renovation down the road??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
For starters, I would recommend buying a liquid test kit and determining what the water quality is.
This is a good kit to start out with:
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.WcBKZa0ZNYc

In addition, also make sure to purchase a test kit to test the KH and GH:
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=0&id=587#.WcBKs60ZNYc

Where are you located? If you get a winter where you pond could freeze over, you'll need to find and fix the leak before winter, or re-home the fish so you can repair the pond next spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome and are you certain they are Koi and not goldfish. Many goldfish look very similar but whatever they are the pond itself is a bigger priority. Regardless of size , I notice you have a waterfall, does it work? How much water do you have to add? Are you using tap or well water? Is there any pump running?
No pump running, adding water with irragation water from the lake near by and put hose at top of water fall to get some airation ?? Adding 1 to 2 inches of water a day depends on weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
Having that shade will help tremendously in the battle against algae.
And welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
For starters, I would recommend buying a liquid test kit and determining what the water quality is.
This is a good kit to start out with:
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.WcBKZa0ZNYc

In addition, also make sure to purchase a test kit to test the KH and GH:
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=0&id=587#.WcBKs60ZNYc

Where are you located? If you get a winter where you pond could freeze over, you'll need to find and fix the leak before winter, or re-home the fish so you can repair the pond next spring.

Thank you I will start with the kits, we are in Ione CA winters fairly mild should not freeze over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you know if they are gold fish or koi ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Koi have barbells and goldfish do not. The barbells look like " whiskers" :) Are you able to post some pictures?

Ask a Question