Hello Just Joined this forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the warm welcome from both sides of the 'Big Pond' - sorry couldn't resist that one...!

Here's a few more photos from approximately July 2010:

P6230214.JPG
PondLife Avatar2.JPG
P6230214.JPG
P6230207.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your pond is beautiful!!!! Love the calla lilly there. I'm trying to grow mine, got 2 but one died and one not doing well. putting it in a bog, it supposed to like wet feet but seems mine's too wet!

The wisteria looks pretty there but I shiver.... I'm having a losing battle with wisteria infestation / invasion right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Nepen, much appreciated. I've had problems with my Arum Lilies since 2010, this year is the first summer they have flowered since the photo taken in 2010. They're best removed before the hardest frosts and overwintered in a greenhouse. That's what I'll do this November - especially as the Gulf Stream is allegedly about to shut down!!!

Wisteria is really tough, you need to be ruthless with it (good luck), they send out so many runners at the root level that you need to dig out and cut back to the base of the trunk. It's worthwhile for the beautiful display they give you 3 weeks of the year.

PPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you cut your wisteria back to the trunk every year then, or just trim it? It sure is gorgeous! I have one, but not positive I want to keep it. LOL I built a large frame to hold it on, and it's growing up it nicely, but not sure I like the smell of the flowers. It's kinda pungent, if you ask me. The flowers are sure pretty, though. Guess I need to keep the runners off the ground, and make sure no sprouts come up from the ground level, too, huh? My plant is only in the ground a full year now, planted it last summer.
And, are these pics recent, or from 2010? If they are recent, I thought you said your lilies are not so prolific? They are gorgeous in this pic, as are your other plants. I love the yellow flowers in the foreground of a couple of the pics. Very different than what I find around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Nepen, much appreciated. I've had problems with my Arum Lilies since 2010, this year is the first summer they have flowered since the photo taken in 2010. They're best removed before the hardest frosts and overwintered in a greenhouse. That's what I'll do this November - especially as the Gulf Stream is allegedly about to shut down!!!

Wisteria is really tough, you need to be ruthless with it (good luck), they send out so many runners at the root level that you need to dig out and cut back to the base of the trunk. It's worthwhile for the beautiful display they give you 3 weeks of the year.

PPG
I'll see what's going on with my calla :) right now only a small stem showing up lol.

I have 5 acre of wisteria, cut down and scraped the ground to dig the roots out on 2 of them, but that didn't work because every little roots that survived sprout new plant so now I have small plants of wisteria on the two acres that we tried to clear. Can't do that anymore due to the high costs. Now have to go with chemicle which only works 50% of a time...the wisteria choked out the big trees, the land was abandoned for 12 years. Didn't see much flowers on them either, only sparingly. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
sometimes chemicals mus be used. I had a big problem with trumpet vine. Beautiful but destructive. After learning that cutting only worsened the problem I went to Ace Hardware and bought a bottle of root killer. You drill a hole in the root directly at ground level. Using the supplied dropper place the dried amount into the root. It was 100% effective for use. To kill random sprouts spray them the root and brush killer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'll see what's going on with my calla :) right now only a small stem showing up lol.

I have 5 acre of wisteria, cut down and scraped the ground to dig the roots out on 2 of them, but that didn't work because every little roots that survived sprout new plant so now I have small plants of wisteria on the two acres that we tried to clear. Can't do that anymore due to the high costs. Now have to go with chemicle which only works 50% of a time...the wisteria choked out the big trees, the land was abandoned for 12 years. Didn't see much flowers on them either, only sparingly. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

OMG five acres, sorry my advice was very inadequate in that case!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you cut your wisteria back to the trunk every year then, or just trim it? It sure is gorgeous! I have one, but not positive I want to keep it. LOL I built a large frame to hold it on, and it's growing up it nicely, but not sure I like the smell of the flowers. It's kinda pungent, if you ask me. The flowers are sure pretty, though. Guess I need to keep the runners off the ground, and make sure no sprouts come up from the ground level, too, huh? My plant is only in the ground a full year now, planted it last summer.
And, are these pics recent, or from 2010? If they are recent, I thought you said your lilies are not so prolific? They are gorgeous in this pic, as are your other plants. I love the yellow flowers in the foreground of a couple of the pics. Very different than what I find around here.

I just trim it, ruthlessly where necessary. I always cut back runners from the base and lower portion of the stems throughout the season, this seems to help keep it under control. Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the pics. The yellow flowers are called 'Yellow Musk' (Mimulus Luteus), they are very invasive so have to be pulled out at times but just grow madly without needing to be planted, their root systems are dense and provide shelter for fish-fry and aquatic insects and certainly help out-compete filamentous algae (blanket weed) and the dreaded duck-weed in the spring months before the irises arums etcetera get going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OMG five acres, sorry my advice was very inadequate in that case!
haha no worries :) there are big ones that I might be able to kill by root kills like that, but it will be labor intensive! :)

I googled Yellow Musk and all I found were pictures of monsters lol. So I googled Mimulus Luteus and I see the flowers, those are very pretty. May be i'll get some :)

Ask a Question