Hello - My name is Monica - I'm thrilled to find this forum.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! Really interesting pond and it is so lucky to find a new owner to take such good care of it.
I can’t ever move now! Haha. I had never thought about a pond before in my life.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Usually when you find a pond that lushly landscaped, with such a gorgeous stream feeding it, an entrance fee to the park is charged for admittance. I would buy a house, chock full of black mold, under a collapsing roof, with bodies buried in the basement, just to get a pond like that--already built, fine-tuned, and fully landscaped. You should go buy a basket of lottery tickets...your luck is over the top!
Yes, right!? The former owner clearly was a very passionate gardener and DIY’er, and due to personal problems had stopped caring for the property for the last couple of years. It took a lot of work to make the house and property livable and get occupancy permits issued, but we felt like it was a diamond in the rough.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IS SHE LOST IS SHE TALKING ABOUT US ??????

Welcome To GPF

THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID WELL nice very nice
Yes - you all do seem kind, and funny I will add!
Thank you for the welcome.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely beautiful! And you didn't have to do any work to build it. Previous owners did really well with the design and build.
Thank you. Yes indeed, the previous owner did very well. I am beyond grateful.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Monica! I know first hand just how excited you must be to have inherited such a beautiful pond…and that stream is awesome! I can’t believe that deer did not eat your beautiful hostas!
I have a couple of pups that are up for the task of keeping deer away! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah give me a chance i'll give all kinds of advice, then i'll take a sharp curve and make yeah lift an eyebrow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what brings you to the site sharing or is there an issue you want to work on?

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! Great looking pond to inherit and it looks like the previous owner did a good job. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but does your bog have a snorkel? Your pond appears to have a decent amount of protein floating on the top. Could be time to flush out your bog as it would be hard to say when the previous owner flushed it last.
it does not have a snorkel. The photos are from last summer, but it does look similar now as well. I am trying to learn about how to care for the big. I’ve been reading all that I can. I also have put myself on the list with my local pond store to have them come give everything a look and see if I need to make any changes or updates.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what store are you talking to so many arte still al about box filters and such and they don't think bogs are worth their weight
It is called Ponds Plus, a family owned local place. i don’t currently have any box filter at all, just the bog and last year I had lots of pond plants. They seem very pro creating a natural ecosystem.

I had another company come previously and I was horrified. They wanted me to pull out all my fish, put them in a trash can with water and change all the water. I said I couldn’t put my fish through that and chose to scoop out muck and do some vacuuming Instead. I am hopeful this Ponds Plus place is helpful. I’ve stressed that i don’t want to use chemicals and algaecodes.

Ask a Question