Hello There

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The pond has been a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Water quality is terrible to say the least. Green algae flourishing so will be emptying it this Thursday. Total vol is 9000 litres.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Congrats on the big move!!!!!! When you say terrible water quality, have you done readings? Algae isn't necessarily a bad thing, other than for aesthetics. If you do a drain/cleanout, don't do any scrubbing or power washing... lining the sides of everything is beneficial bacteria that helps to keep Ammonia and Nitrates in check. Are there any fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Michey. There are apparently 100 Gold Fish in there, the pond being some 10 years old, never been cleaned so the bottom is full of silt. You can see it rising as the fish move around the water column. We have a fish dealer coming over on Thursday, he cleans ponds as part of his business and recommends draining so he can check on the welfare of the stock. I am trying to post a video up so you get some idea. The pressurised filter is just blocked with silt and yuk lol. I have cleaned it all down along with the pump 4000 lph Maxi Flow and running UV too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That makes sense! Get rid of all the silty stuff, but keep scrubbing to a minimum =) There could be anaerobic bacteria built up underneath (the stuff that causes the sulphery, rotten egg smell) so be careful releasing it in to the water while the fish are around as all that stinky stuff is toxic. Your fishies are lucky to have you! Let us know what the fish dude says!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This was my hobby before the garden pond. Loved every moment of the learning through to the growing of SPS Corals. Sadly, no longer a hobby I can dedicate my time too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is the pond after I had stripped the filters down to clean. Discovered the UV light was not working so replaced it. Still not working grrrr lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh my goodness! Welcome welcome! I absolutely love your new place! It is wonderful!

I dated a guy from Derbyshire (pronounced dah-b-shur) :) back in 2003ish named Mark. Can't remember his last name. But a great great guy. He was in Utah working at the ski resorts as a lifty, which many English and Australian young men do. But his work visa expired and he had to go back.

He showed me many photos of the midlands and it is a lovely area of England.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Clean water at last !!!! No not yet.... This is before the pond was emptied and cleaned out. I shall post the full cleaning process on another thread but will show how clean the water is now below.

Ask a Question