Hello!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm what you would say new to the pond world, but not really. Five years ago I had this wild idea to turn a row boat into a pond. I would overwinter the goldfish in aquariums in my basement. In this "pond", I had no filter or aeration... Just lots of plants and believe it or not, I still have 9 of my original fish. And I have offspring! I must have been doing something right, right? We recently moved and I dug a REAL pond about 2 mos ago. It's about 9ft in diameter which slopes to about 4ft. My plan is to keep the fish in there this winter. However, I've run into a snag already! Just when my water was starting to clear up, I started losing water.... A leak, ugh! I want to thank all of you for all the information I've gotten off this forum about how to find a leak and repairs, etc. I'm still waiting for the water level to hold steady. A little frustrated, but hey... I'm learning. This is so much different than a pond in a boat!

I'm posting a pic of my pond boat. It was pretty cool but too small now. And see the clear water!?! No filter! And also my newly dug pond.... It's still a work in progress.
FB_IMG_1470770881401.jpg
FB_IMG_1470770821961.jpg
20160702_113714.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! And welcome to our group!

Check your edges and the folds, water has a way of following the fold out sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome, going well ,hope to see it finished soon , keep it a surprise gift fr ur fishy , tell thrm u wont drown if u come out ot boat :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
How many inches are going down per day?
1 inch should be normal with fountain,sun,wind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
See, I got in it about a month ago to adjust the fountain and couldn't get out! Lol. I think I really put my weight on one of the rocks. I think I know which one, just waiting for it to go down to that level.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Man that boat thing was cool! You should disconnect that sprayer for a few days, see if the leak stops, that type of fountain is notorious for water loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
See, I got in it about a month ago to adjust the fountain and couldn't get out! Lol. I think I really put my weight on one of the rocks. I think I know which one, just waiting for it to go down to that level.
Can be , whats thickness of liner , is it pvc?,if u know the place thats good u can feel from fingers if any irregularity , loss of water just begain after tht incident?
Try to edit title of the thread or start new , many wouldnot know whats ur problem by looking

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the above comments from @sissy and @peter hillman - could be evaporation or that fountain. If you have a leak in the liner you would expect to see a constant fall in water level to the same point, regardless of other conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
If you have a hole in your liner, the pressure of the water lessens and the leak may slow as it approaches the level of the hole. A small pin hole can hide an inch or two below the final waterline. As most have said water loss is more likely to be in the plumbing or evaporation. Water is more likely to evaporate due to wind and sunshine than air temperature

Ask a Question