hello

Reaction score
Hi
just wanted to say hi and thanks. Found this site a few Weeks ago and have been reading to help plan a pond i will be building in the spring. i have been keeping goldfish in an aquarium for over 15 yrs. cant wait to try a pond .

Reaction score
yo Mike! Welcome! Welcom!

What can you tell us about what you'd like to build? How big? what kinda fish? and what about the filtration system?

Let's start talking!

Reaction score
Hey Mike. Welcome. I'm new to ponding as well as I built a pond this summer. I'd be more than happy to share my triumphs and many screw-ups if they help you.
Best of Luck.
BR

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome.
I am planning to build 8x8x2 ft above ground pond with plants and goldfish.
Still thinking about filtration so have no info on that yet.

Reaction score
hello
it will be 8x8x2 ft above ground. wood frame with epdm liner. still considering filter options any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
hello again
forgot to add plan on lilies water lettuce and Hyacinth parrot feather. for fish i plan on a few shubunkins,sarrasas. it wont be big enough for koi

Reaction score
well, I give you credit right off the bat to admit that it's too small for koi. You would be shocked over folks that have folks way smaller than yours who have 3-4" koi in it thinking those things will stay small forever. So far, you've got the right thinking!

Are you a handy DIY type or do you plan on buying a filter? We've got plenty of DIY ideas here, but if you want to buy something you can hide, you can surely buy a good pressure filter we can recommend.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
an 8' x 8' x 2' deep of water (straight walls and flat bottom) pond is 950 gals a 55gallon filter will put you at 1,000 gals.

Reaction score
hello
1,000gal isn't that the recommended minimum for koi? are you trying to tempt me?
just kidding was thinking of going 10x10x2 that would give me approx 1,490 gal. but need to check if i have the space for that

Reaction score
hello again
as to the filter thanks for the advice on the diy filter i have been reading about them here and other places on the net. thats what i have been tossing back an forth n my head buy or build cant decide

Ask a Question