help fish inactive

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Just went to a fish store and had the water tested.
ammonia .25
nitrate .0
nitrites .0

So Doing a water change last night dropped the ammonia from .50 to .25 unfortunately I don't know what the others were before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Go back to the fsh shop and ask them if the have any bags zeolite rocks and a net bag,for them to go into zeolite likes ammmonia and soaks it all in better still buy two bags and wtwo net bags when one is full put the other in then recharge the zeolite soaked rocks in a bucket of salt water one or two mugs full of salt each bag should llast between 3-6 months before the need to recharge
Then use them as I've stated but place them in a flow of water either in your filter or somewhere where there is a current in your pond

Dave

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Go back to the fsh shop and ask them if the have any bags zeolite rocks and a net bag,for them to go into zeolite likes ammmonia and soaks it all in better still buy two bags and wtwo net bags when one is full put the other in then recharge the zeolite soaked rocks in a bucket of salt water one or two mugs full of salt each bag should llast between 3-6 months before the need to recharge
Then use them as I've stated but place them in a flow of water either in your filter or somewhere where there is a current in your pond

Dave
How big of a bag for a 1000 ga; pond and what type of salt aquarium?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK they just come in large bags springKnee I have a 1,000 gallon pond and I run 2 bags alternatly to each other on a 3-6 months turn around.
I'll tell you what I'll ring the fishh shop later and see if I can find out the weight., as to salt save yourself some money my friend go to your super market and buy in some cooking salt (never table salt as there are to many impurities).
Here its onl;y like 45p per 3 kg , what I've done is filled a large plastic bucket with a lid so that when ever we need it its there, aquarium salt sometimes claimed as medicated is just salt and you'll pay ripp off prices for it .
If you can place the zeolite in your filter I dont know its size all the better but in the flow otherwise, "word of warning though never heavily salt the pond as it could release the ammonia from the rocks into your pond" plese remember that its vitally important you do ok ?
Dont forget to get that API pond test kit and dont rely on the fish shop for your readings as you need to test your own waters every week.

Dave

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Here in the UK they just come in large bags springKnee I have a 1,000 gallon pond and I run 2 bags alternatly to each other on a 3-6 months turn around.
I'll tell you what I'll ring the fishh shop later and see if I can find out the weight., as to salt save yourself some money my friend go to your super market and buy in some cooking salt (never table salt as there are to many impurities).
Here its onl;y like 45p per 3 kg , what I've done is filled a large plastic bucket with a lid so that when ever we need it its there, aquarium salt sometimes claimed as medicated is just salt and you'll pay ripp off prices for it .
If you can place the zeolite in your filter I dont know its size all the better but in the flow otherwise, "word of warning though never heavily salt the pond as it could release the ammonia from the rocks into your pond" plese remember that its vitally important you do ok ?
Dont forget to get that API pond test kit and dont rely on the fish shop for your readings as you need to test your own waters every week.

Dave
Dave
Thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated. One more question though does it hurt to remove the plants from the filter and rinse out the gunk?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In answer to your question as to what sized bags of zeolite rocks the ones I buy weigh 15-20 kg according to my shop contact as to plants in the filter sorry I've never kept plants in ours but filters need cleaning from time to time so I suppose it would be OK what size filter material do you have ?
We pressure wash ours then add Microbe_lift PL filter pad innoculant gel letting it stand in the filter with no water for an hour then soak in the filter for 1/2 am hour before switching ours back on but if toyr filter pads arent that big give it a good old rinse in a bucket of pond water then add the plants again .

Dave

Ask a Question