help, I am losing my koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Replying to Stonecreek1... if you are still losing fish.. I would try the Dimilin.

I did not lose any more fish after treating mine with the Dimilin. All my fish are healthy again and pretty fishies.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello again. I am posting three links about the use of Dimilin.

KoiVet had to say about Dimilin:
http://www.koivet.com/a_dimilin_argulus_anchorworm_koi_treatment.html
Koi Vet does not list Dimilin for a medication for Columnaris. But my poor dying fish had all the symptoms. And I decided to give Dimilin a shot. At least this medication is non-toxic and does not harm bio-filters. And just as KoiVet says within 2-3 days my fish were better. NOT only better but stopped dying.

Dimilin & Aquarium use
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

Buy Dimilin - eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimilin-X-K...-Fish-Lice-Flukes-diflubenzuron-/321073332408

I also fed my koi Medi-Koi at the same time I treated my koi with Dimilin.

thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Replying to Stonecreek1... if you are still losing fish.. I would try the Dimilin.

I did not lose any more fish after treating mine with the Dimilin. All my fish are healthy again and pretty fishies.

@Ra'mona I think your diagnosis of columnaris is wrong , the fish with the swollen gills and exessive mucus more than likely is suffering from either Gyrodactylus [skin flukes or Dactylogyrus[ gill flukes].
@stonecreek1 please note the way the muscus has caused the gill casings to raise and the exessive mucus down its body which are a classic signes of flukes and that is what I strongly believe you should treat for.
In our 29 years of keeping koi I've seen fluke infestations in my own and other peoples ponds on several occaisions. but am out of my depth when it comes to treating fry as the chemcals may well kill them.
Fluke M by Kusuri is what I would treat adult koi with , you can also treat with Malachite and formalin the amount dependant on strength of the slolution, Potasium Permanganate can also be used and last but not least superverm an organophosphate treatment that clears koi of flukes [but kills its cousin the goldfish..
What filtration do you have on the stock tank ?
My other thought is why so many tails with no signs of any other fin damage it may be that your koi babies are either being caught by the pipe of your filter if you have one on the tank, or you have a cannibal in the tank as young fry do predate smaller fry.
So one of your largest fry may well be nipping tail fins.
What temperature are you doing water changes at if its straight cold water please stop doing that and try to match the temperatures of the stock tank when doing water changes [always] otherwise you could cause thermal shock to your fry which stresses them out no end

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi Dave. Thank you for your response. So I will try to hit all your key points. I had done a PP treatment 2 Sunday's ago. After an 8 hrs treatment at 1/2 tsp for 300 gallons, the water browned. I added a little hydrogen peroxide and moved the fish all to a container. I completely drained the stock tank. I scrubbed the whole tank and the pump and air pads all with pp. I removed all the rocks. Which they did have some black mold on he bottoms? I refilled the tank after scrubbing and added water at the same temp. I always do water changes at the same temp. I cleaned the two media pads but not the bio balls. I use and external filter set up for 1000 pond and it is only 300 gallons. I have never had any live fish caught in the pump. Only the dead ones. They are all likely too big to get pulled into the small slots. I then had turned he pump back on, and caught the first two gallons and discarded that before letting it flow into the tank. I added pond salt at less than the recommended dose. And for about a week the fish were extremely happy and content. But now it is starting all over again. Every morning I walk down to 2-3 floaters. I did find in an earlier post you will see, I had what I think are called Tobies. The seem to be 4x the size of he others and yes I totally caught one spit The head of a dead fish out of its mouth! The are gone! So here I am. Hours and hours of trying to read and figure out what is going and now my ammonia is starting to spike so I am doing more water changes and I am no further ahead than I was at the beginning. So maybe I can get help on my next solution. I went this evening and seriously bought a 75 gallon aquarium. I just thought how do people have aquariums and spend more time enjoying than working and I am just killing these poor little fish off. There is no doctors anywhere around here to help so I am completely relying on the Internet. So my goal is to try to get this set up and maybe have a Better filtration and maybe more reliable set up. So help!! How do I do this set up without sacrificing any more fish. Can I do a fish less cycle? And if I have a parasite how do I make sure I wouldn't bring it into the new environment!!! I was thinking of getting the under gravel filter , it seems to have good reviews. But I am going to have to keep these guys alive while trying to cycle the aquarium! Ahhhh!!! I can't figure out what he heck I am doing so wrong.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am still of the opinion that this has progressed into an internal infection. No amount of disinfection is going to have any effect. Again either an antibiotic treatment such as tetracycline or even a medicated food, if the fish are still eating, would be the treatment to follow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am still of the opinion that this has progressed into an internal infection. No amount of disinfection is going to have any effect. Again either an antibiotic treatment such as tetracycline or even a medicated food, if the fish are still eating, would be the treatment to follow.
Tetracycline may well do it Meyer or MediKoi but there are still other issues going on with these youngsters we must not loose sight of that

Dave

Ask a Question