Help identifying pond plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what type of plant this is and best way to get rid of it (completely remove). Roots are too imbedded in liner to pull out.

thanks for any help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are the roots in the liner or just in a huge mass and seem to be in the liner?

I have had to chop roots out they are so tangled you think they are going through the liner.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! I'm sorry to tell you (as are my aching hands, arms, back, and legs) that the only way to get rid of it completely is to get rid of the roots and all. (See my post "My grassy day" for my own pond plant saga.)

I would just start yanking and pulling and digging and chopping. Whatever you have to do to get it out. Anything that you leave behind will only come back bigger and stronger - it's nature's way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Where are you? Looks like a native wetland grass. Doubt that you can eliminate it. Just prune it as you would the lawn.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, growing in the pond. Very aggressive, VERY dense root base, not really an option to pull them out. Have cut them down but they return very quickly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are there fish in there? How did the grass get in there.........meaning did you plant a little and it took over or did it just appear? If it just appeared then I would be afraid even if you were able to remove it that it would just come back. If you put it in there or someone did and you can't get it out off liner then seems to me the only way would be to start all over by pulling out liner and putting in a new one. If you have fish in there I don't know how you will collect them before you do all this. Using weed killer would just ruin the liner anyways and kill all the life in there. This is awful for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Phalaris arundinacea var. picta 'Picta', a mighty fine mat forming aquatic plant, superb for stabilising insecure wet margins. You might try levering it up with some sturdy plank to cut it into movable chunks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
yes, growing in the pond. Very aggressive, VERY dense root base, not really an option to pull them out. Have cut them down but they return very quickly.

Maybe you need some professional help. Unless you dig it all out, you'll never be rid of it.

Ask a Question