Help, I've inherited/bought a pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I Googled Pond filtration and I don't seem to have anything like that.
That frog sitting next to the bridge looks like it has a tube coming out of its mouth which would be used for a water spout. You might start looking there for a water pump. It could also be possible the pump was pulled for the winter?? Did you look around for one where you found the chemicals?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought 10 feeder goldfish, five died early on, 5 years ago for my pond, ended up being 2 comets (beautiful) and 3 plain. They are now 10-12 in. long. They've made it through 4 winters. People always ask if the fish are koi. Feeders can get pretty big if you have them in a large pond, smaller in a small pond. Mine do mess with the roots of plants but never dig them up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally got a chance to clear out the shed today. I've posted pictures of the pump and the tools I've been left. Here's the link:

Water is bubbling up in two places in the long narrow part of the pond, but not in the widest, deepest, part where the fish are. Anyway, the pump is obviously working.
I think the flat net is for pond weed and the other one for fish. I guess the brush in the middle is for cleaning the sides of the pond (it has traces of green slime on it). But what's the little spade thingy for?
It now seems that I have 6 fish. 4 are orange and white stripes. Another is sort of mottled black/gold/orange. I think they're perhaps koi. But the biggest (which I originally thought was the only fish) is very difficult to spot. It's clearly something different.
The previous owner left no info or instructions at all. Should I assume that she at least fed them before she moved a couple of weeks ago? Or should I feed them now, just in case?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I finally got a chance to clear out the shed today. I've posted pictures of the pump and the tools I've been left. Here's the link:

Water is bubbling up in two places in the long narrow part of the pond, but not in the widest, deepest, part where the fish are. Anyway, the pump is obviously working.
I think the flat net is for pond weed and the other one for fish. I guess the brush in the middle is for cleaning the sides of the pond (it has traces of green slime on it). But what's the little spade thingy for?
It now seems that I have 6 fish. 4 are orange and white stripes. Another is sort of mottled black/gold/orange. I think they're perhaps koi. But the biggest (which I originally thought was the only fish) is very difficult to spot. It's clearly something different.
The previous owner left no info or instructions at all. Should I assume that she at least fed them before she moved a couple of weeks ago? Or should I feed them now, just in case?

Thanks again.
An air bubbler (pump) is generally separate from the pond (filter) pump. See if you can locate something either IN the pond or outside it. Some sort of piping will be attached.

From your description, I'm thinking you have goldfish, actually. Have some patience and take some time to take better pictures and we can help identify them. Short of that, you can net them and take pics that way.

If your WATER temperature (get a pool thermometer as they are cheap and easy to read) is over 50 deg F, go and feed them (no more than they can consume in a couple of minutes. I generally throw a handful or two until I see everyone has some). Otherwise, you're okay to just let them graze on whatever algae you have growing on the pond sides/bottom. Too much feeding is the surest way of messing up your water.

Don't clean the sides of your pond as this biofilm (and algae) is good for your system. The nets, I'm sure, were for various cleanings/catchings. If you have any mulm on the bottom, if you take a small-hole net and drag SLOWLY across the bottom, you can take this out. Careful as you might net other inhabitants which you might want to save.

I have a flat net to 'skim' the surface once in a while. The brush might be to take out hair algae as you will typically swirl the brush around and lift it out. That's if you ever get any.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I found the filter pump - it was sitting on the bottom of the pond. It's clearly running and is presumably doing what it's meant to. I've ordered a pond thermometer.

Ask a Question