Need help identifying algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! New to the forum. I’ve had a pond for a few years (originally for our ducks) and have recently turned it into a koi pond. We had an over abundance of string algae last year which was quite easy to identify but I need help with this one. The fish love hiding in it and it grows all over the floor and walls of the pond. I don’t mind it especially if it’s not bad but is does clog the filter a bit. Should I clear it out or just do some regular tidying of it? Thanks in advance for any help!
FD67DD1D-9D10-47E0-AD97-E54B4E00B9C1.jpeg
45D3C47B-B4D1-4436-947E-3E4083078A6A.jpeg
583D997A-DA41-443F-B1D5-A734D28D1153.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.
It looks like some type of blanket algae, which is actually good since it helps with filtration. I wouldn't worry about it.
I get that sometimes in the early Spring, then it usually goes away as my plants start to grow. I don't mind it. I think it looks nice. The plants compete with the algae. (Both are plants)

Your water looks clear, so that is good. If the water was dense like pea soup, that can be a bit annoying, but still not really unhealthy.

An overabundance of algae means something is is out of balance, but I don't think your situation is bad.
It could mean your fish load is too high for your filter to keep up with. It could mean you need more plants. It could be from direct sunlight which feeds the algae (plants). If you overfeed the fish, excess food in the water can feed the algae and if the fish eat too much they will produce more waste which will also feed the algae. Or, It could just be the time of year.

There are other factors that you might want to mention so we can get a better idea of your situation, such as:
- Pond size (gallons or liters)
- Location of pond in relation to direct sunlight
- Description of filter
- How many fish, what type of fish and their size
- Your climate.
- During what season where the pictures were taken
- Do you have any plants? If so, what type? The more the better.

I'm probably forgetting some things.

But, basically, if your fish are healthy looking, swimming around and eating like normal and your water is clear, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.
It looks like some type of blanket algae, which is actually good since it helps with filtration. I wouldn't worry about it.
I get that sometimes in the early Spring, then it usually goes away as my plants start to grow. I don't mind it. I think it looks nice. The plants compete with the algae. (Both are plants)

Your water looks clear, so that is good. If the water was dense like pea soup, that can be a bit annoying, but still not really unhealthy.

An overabundance of algae means something is is out of balance, but I don't think your situation is bad.
It could mean your fish load is too high for your filter to keep up with. It could mean you need more plants. It could be fro direct sunlight which feeds the algae (plants). It could just be the time of year.

There are other factors that you might want to mention so we can get a better idea of your situation, such as:
- Pond size (gallons or liters)
- Location of pond in relation to direct sunlight
- Description of filter
- How many fish, what type of fish and their size
- Your climate.
- During what season where the pictures were taken
- Do you have any plants? If so, what type? The more the better.

I'm probably forgetting some things.

But, basically, if your fish are healthy looking, swimming around and eating like normal and your water is clear, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You're welcome!

You stated your filter gets clogged from the algae.
Where is your filter intake located? Can it be shifted or moved a bit so it isn't sucking up the algae? Or are there chunks of algae floating around?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're welcome!

You stated your filter gets clogged from the algae.
Where is your filter intake located? Can it be shifted or moved a bit so it isn't sucking up the algae? Or are there chunks of algae floating around?
The algae floats when I disturb it then let it settle. Or if the fish kick it up it floats to the top but typically it’s on the sides and bottom of the pond.
Pond is 1800 gallons
Pump 2000 gallons
Direct sunlight in winter
Mostly direct during the rest of the year with some late afternoon shade from an oak tree
Currently I have 8 koi and two goldfish. Koi are about 10-12” each we just added them because the damn blue heron stole all the ones I had last year!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!!!
Pond is 1800 gallons
Pump 2000 gallons
Direct sunlight in winter
Mostly direct during the rest of the year with some late afternoon shade from an oak tree
Currently I have 8 koi and two goldfish. Koi are about 10-12” each we just added them because the damn blue heron stole all the ones I had last year!
pics are from today. We are located in central coast California

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's your algae problem

Looks like you have two and three year old koi . how often and how much do you feed them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Add more plants, trade koi for goldfish. A pond that size is kinda small for that many koi, or is getting there. Once you get more plants ( or set up a bog filter!!!) and reduce the fish load, you’ll find less algae is growing, not so fluffy, more of a coat of algae that won’t get sucked into the pump and clog the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you want to prevent your filter from sucking up chunks of floating algae, add some type of pre-filter to your intake.
You can buy one or make something.

Whatever you do, don't add any chemical algecides. You'll be buying more fish.

Add more plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
there is one possible concern re your algae in that in the warmer summer months, the water holds less oxygen than in other seasons. Algae gives off O2 during the day but at night, takes it in, so having an over abundance of algae might give you aeration problems in the summer months. Were it mine, I'd keep the algae groomed to less than half, maybe 1/4. Especially if you truly intend on keeping koi.

And you'll always have predator problems once they find your pond. It's just a matter of time. If you can, rig up a net to protect your fish. There are threads here showing you how and why.

Just some ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's your algae problem

Looks like you have two and three year old koi . how often and how much do you feed them
I just added them to the pond this week and the algae was already there. I’ve only fed them once when I got them a week ago and today actually

Reaction score
Country
United States
there is one possible concern re your algae in that in the warmer summer months, the water holds less oxygen than in other seasons. Algae gives off O2 during the day but at night, takes it in, so having an over abundance of algae might give you aeration problems in the summer months. Were it mine, I'd keep the algae groomed to less than half, maybe 1/4. Especially if you truly intend on keeping koi.

And you'll always have predator problems once they find your pond. It's just a matter of time. If you can, rig up a net to protect your fish. There are threads here showing you how and why.

Just some ideas.
Thank you. This is all very helpful. I just added a motion detector sprinkler and saw it scare him off twice already

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just added a motion detector sprinkler and saw it scare him off twice already
Ha! That's awesome!
I hope they got the message and stay away permanently.
Some here have been successful with suspending a net between trees or poles to deter the flying critters.

You can add some floating plants. They will help hide your fish and clean the water at the same time. I use water lettuce and water hyacinths every year. If I don't thin them out, they will completely cover my pond! Those plants are prohibited in some areas, so check your local regulations. There are other floating plants. Those are just the two I use.

Ask a Question