water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
I looked at Addy's pond build, what do you think the bottom pond would look like with one of these in the middle? lol
Common Name: Giant Water Lily, Amazon Water Lily

'Giant' water lilies, can't describe how big these lilies can be. Some could be as big as 3 m diameter and carry a weight of 45kg spread evenly. The beauty of this plant is not only in the size of the leaf but also the beautiful patterned veins underneath that support the leaf's weight. Put a few of these leaves together and you have a mesmerizing 'unreal' sight of green giant lily pads.

I joined a group that said they would send seeds, but so far no luck, I was going to try some. They are tropicals, so it would be a summer plant, brought in for the winter! They are huge!

There are some rivers and creeks around here, I will go and see if there is any sand. Most of what I have seen so far is mud! shale, clay lol

We are driving to florida, next month, parent check again. I know they have sand there lmao, maybe my poor hubby wouldn't mind me hauling sand back! not the ocean sand, but the soil, pond river sand.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Our dealer in New Orleans stocks one or two baby Victoria's each year, possibly from seed? Not sure. They are reasonably price but just seeing a baby one will really get you thinking about how large they will grow when mature. I thought I had a pic of one of the babies when I went there a couple of weeks ago. Guess I didn't but here is a couple of pics from their show pond, All planted in sand, Also note these were taken just two weeks ago, So none are fully grown yet. they were stored in a green house over winter but they have been in the show pond for a month when I took these pics.

Attachments

• American Water garden 1.jpg
    American Water garden 1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 284
  • American water garden 2.jpg
    American water garden 2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 221

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those are just gorgeous pads..........the color variety and patterns are so cool :cold:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I am hoping my lilies take off, I really need a lot of coverage. Wish I could get some of those big babies, that sure would help!

Ask a Question