water lily - HELP

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi to all -- am looking for some tips regarding water lilies

i bought a water lily from UK and temporarily i planted the lily in a deep container as shown. i noticed that new leaves were coming out but then they decay really quick - and now it seems as if its dying - or something is wrong - (see uploaded files)-- does anyone has any suggestions

i also tried to add lily food to the soil -but it didn't seem to help - didnt seem to have any effect

i live in Malta (Mediterranean) - and our winter is not that cold
20141101_122340.jpg 20141101_122353.jpg

any suggestions are appreciated - my email is (e-mail address removed)

thanks

Jeff

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try starting it in water that is only 6-10 inches deep.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi thanks for your reply

so should i reduce water level to approx 25cm ?

shall i leave it in the present container?

thanks once again for your tips

Jeff

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could leave it in the same container put something under the lily to raise it up. Don't just drop the water level, you want the tuber up where it gets light and sun. They do better being shallow to start out. Also what is it planted in? I plant mine in pure clay kitty litter.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
thanks once again for your reply --

ok i'll try to move tuber upwards - at the moment depth of water is about 40cm and lily is planted in about 10cm aquatic compost - (this was the only product i found suitable for ponds) -

so i'll move tuber upwards leaving water depth of about 25cm - is this right?

shall i keep using the aquatic compost ?

when you say pure clay kitty litter - do you mean cat litter ? - wont these have chemicals within them?

thanks once again for your assistance and advice

Jeff

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when you say pure clay kitty litter - do you mean cat litter ? - wont these have chemicals within them?
We can get kitty litter that is just clay, no additives. The lilies love it. I don't know anything about aquatic compost. 25 cm is around 12 inches that would be fine.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hi good morning

i doubt whether i will be able to find cat litter that is just clay -- i can get dry clay from the coastline (see image)- we have some clay slopes here - would that be good? shall i try it? -

a garden shop has rose potting compost --which has Montmorillonit-Clay as one of its ingredients --

thanks once again --good day

mini-Malta_-_Mgarr_-_Gnejna_Bay_+_clay_slopes_(Il-Karraba)_01_ies.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since this is a fishless collection of water, i.e. just a pot, you could try the rose potting compost. It probably has some fertilizer included. I stick with pure clay since my lilies are in a fish pond.

Plant it so the growing tip of the tuber is pointing towards the center of the pot. The non growing part of the tuber near the edge. Now this might be a tropical lily, is it like a bulb? roundish and hard? or like a skinny potato?
If it is a tropical lily put the bulb in the center of the pot.

Neat looking place you live near. Love the cliffs and the water.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
i had planted the lily in a pot as a temporary measure -- (being just a tuber) - eventually i hope to transfer in a larger fish pond - still under construction

checking the rose potting compost -- says it has the following ingredients: white peat,Montmorillonit-Clay and slight fertilization.

http://www.piscopogardens.com/compost/rose-potting-compost/flypage-ask.tpl.html

is natural clay good ? - we have clay slopes --can get some from there if its good - (its like greyish texture )

re tuber - i cant say whether its tropical -- will post an image of tuber -maybe you can confirm for me -

sorry for all the questions

thanks once again

Jeff

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As a start you can put it in the rose stuff, then when you have your fish pond transplant it to the natural clay. Yep natural clay is good if it does not send a bunch of fine dirt out into the pond every time the fish disturb it.

Post a picture of the tuber. The tropical looks like a dark hard bulb. At least the few tropicals I have had did. I have hardy lilies since my area has a cold winter. Tropicals wont survive.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
good morning

thanks for the advice --today will go round some garden shops to find any clay material. as a last option i'll get that rose compost - and will replant lily tuber

i also uploaded a file - to show tuber -(this was taken when i bought it - so no idea how it is now - hopefully i'm in time to save it :) )

thanks once again for your advice - appreciate it

good day

Jeff

20140627_161430.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like a hardy tuber, you have a good growing tip on the right end, when you bought it. When you plant it put the part in your hand in the soil buried, leave that growing tip out of the soil pointing towards the center of the pot.If you bury the growing tip the lily might die.

Go ahead and use the rose compost. Without fish you don't need to worry about fertilizer. If the lily takes off you will need to divide it and repot before you will have your fish pond done.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
yeah when i bought it was ok --hopefully it still is --will see - (but since there's a leaf visible- i assume its not dead yet)

today will go and buy that rose compost and try to replant it -- leaving about 25cm of water - leaving upper tip uncovered

thanks once again for you help and assistance

appreciate it

Jeff

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let us know how it does, give it sun, warmth, it should take off. The way to tell if all is at a loss is the tuber will get mushy.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
sure will keep you updated -- hopefully will take off -- once it blooms - should be very dark red in color (almost black) --

will keep monitoring it -hopefully will see positive signs

thanks once again - good day

Jeff

Ask a Question