Help me diagnose these spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, this is my first post. I inherited a 900g koi pond when I purchased my home almost 5 years ago. I've never had a koi pond previously, and I've had no issues with this pond until now.

One of my koi has started to develop some white spots on its body, and I need help in determining what it is and what I should be doing to correct it. I appreciate your time in helping me.

PXL_20231110_151147454.jpg

PXL_20231110_151150532.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problems. When I read white spot, I think of ich, but you are talking about those large white patches? Hard to see with the reflection. Are they ragged or fuzzy, how big?

Barring injury or introduction, most diseases are brought on by stress and/or poor water conditions. How many fish and what size in your 900 gallon pond? Filtration type? Any water quality tests? Ammonia and nitrite would be the first to check.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bug.gif
@filchmedia
I only have goldfish. Sorry you are having issues w/your koi and hope someone can help w/those spots. I do know koi need a lot of water in a pond even for just one of them. Think it's like 500 to1000 gals for each one. Course if you have a super filtering process people can get away w/a lot more fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is about 4' deep, 13' x 6', give or take, so comes to around ~2000 gallons. I thought I was told it was 900 before, but based on those measurements, there's more water there than I thought. I have 10 total fish.

I have an Ultima 2 (2000) Filter and UV.
I have not done any water quality tests. What should I be using to test?
It's hard to tell if they are fuzzy or ragged, I may need to net him out and check closer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. what kind of fish
2. This time of year when our bacteria starts to die off and everything slows. The change can generate negative effects on our ponds the lesser stable environments will start to show. every environment has its parasites this is why fish have slimy coats that slime is there defense from parasites fungus and bacterial infections. so if your just getting the spots now That they are just now starting to appear then i would suspect your water parameters could be better. check your kh and gh i'll bet your very low

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
6 Butterfly Koi
4 Regular

So I just got my kit today, but haven't had a chance to test the water yet. What's odd is the spots on my one fish are gone. They were there for weeks and today he looks totally normal. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are also test strips that you just dip in the water
NOT WORTH EVEN THINKING ABOUT.............

And yes api makes a god test kit but along with the full kit PH , PH HIGH Range, ammonia, nitrate , nitrite, . that all comes in a large kit. then you also want a kh and gh test kit .. all from api in liquid drops

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6 Butterfly Koi
4 Regular

So I just got my kit today, but haven't had a chance to test the water yet. What's odd is the spots on my one fish are gone. They were there for weeks and today he looks totally normal. :unsure:
That's where keeping a journal helps , so you can go back and look for commonalities and what changes you made and when...

Reaction score
Country
United States
It didn't look like what I've seen pictures of online, but I didn't get a close look either. I'll be keeping a close eye out, and I have a test kit now. I appreciate everyone's help here. I'll report back if I have any issues with some test data in hand.

Thanks!

Ask a Question