water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well
There are threads of peeps having them in pots, heavy fertilizer, some have just put in pond in pea gravel, no fertilizer, it lives on the pond junk.

I have not planted any so can't talk from experience, but mine will be in pea gravel and just see how they do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well
There are threads of peeps having them in pots, heavy fertilizer, some have just put in pond in pea gravel, no fertilizer, it lives on the pond junk.

I have not planted any so can't talk from experience, but mine will be in pea gravel and just see how they do.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think we have just a small number of folks here who lotus experience but theres at least one or two other treads on them...go to the top of the home page and use the search feature.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think we have just a small number of folks here who lotus experience but theres at least one or two other treads on them...go to the top of the home page and use the search feature.

Reaction score
I'm no lotus expert but I do grow one every year. There are large lotus plants and small lotus plants. I don't know which you have. Large plants obviously will need a large container. The soil used should be clay as clay will hold nutrients better than a sandy soil. I would stay away from gravel. Lotus are heavy feeders. I have had success with time-released fertilizers with a high middle number to encourage flowering.

I can't tell if your pot is light plastic or heavier material. A large pot will be difficult (per my back) to move in and out of the pond. Only a few inches of water need to be overhead. I believe it is best to re-pot every season.

The fact that your leave are nice and green and not burned is a good sign that you are not over-fertilizing.

Reaction score
I'm no lotus expert but I do grow one every year. There are large lotus plants and small lotus plants. I don't know which you have. Large plants obviously will need a large container. The soil used should be clay as clay will hold nutrients better than a sandy soil. I would stay away from gravel. Lotus are heavy feeders. I have had success with time-released fertilizers with a high middle number to encourage flowering.

I can't tell if your pot is light plastic or heavier material. A large pot will be difficult (per my back) to move in and out of the pond. Only a few inches of water need to be overhead. I believe it is best to re-pot every season.

The fact that your leave are nice and green and not burned is a good sign that you are not over-fertilizing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I paid 6 dollars for 15 seeds, three different colors, just going to experiment with them, it will be next year, unless we get this bog going faster. lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I paid 6 dollars for 15 seeds, three different colors, just going to experiment with them, it will be next year, unless we get this bog going faster. lol

Reaction score
I have had a Lotus for about 5 weeks now, I left it in it's pot but placed the pot in my pond and it has given me about 4 blooms with 2 new buds. You may want to try that.

Reaction score
I have had a Lotus for about 5 weeks now, I left it in it's pot but placed the pot in my pond and it has given me about 4 blooms with 2 new buds. You may want to try that.

Reaction score
Mine, look the same. I recently started seeds sprouting in another container as well. I used osmocote in the bottom, and then a layer of manure, and then pea gravel and pond water. They seem healthy and sprouting, Flowers will come when it stays warmer. That is my plan.

Reaction score
Mine, look the same. I recently started seeds sprouting in another container as well. I used osmocote in the bottom, and then a layer of manure, and then pea gravel and pond water. They seem healthy and sprouting, Flowers will come when it stays warmer. That is my plan.

Ask a Question