Help needed for rebuilding

Reaction score
You all are awesome! So far we are already in the process of building a faux deck to go over the pump and are about to transplant some ivy to go in front of the rocks to the right of the pond. We'll be making a gravel buffer around the front of the pond with some low lying plants. We are also looking to plant some bushes, maybe blueberries, above to the left.
Any thoughts on in-pond platforms? Right now I'm thinking about stepping up a bunch of cinder blocks so I have ledges 12-18 inches below the surface for lilies.
Im also going to investigate downsizing the pipe that feeds the falls and maybe add a second. It is currently a 2in pipe so im looking at going down to 1.5in with a "y" so I can run a pipe above the upper pond and get some more aeration.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice on the above would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Blue Rug Juniper will grow and drape accross the boulders and soften the look. It is hardy and has stood up to me walking accross it to get to the upper pond. Sedum are a great choice to tuck in the pockets between rocks. They are hardy and there are so many varieties with different growing habits. I think with plants you will have a beautiful pond. Good luck and enjoy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Great tips about plants between the rocks! You may want to line the spots in between rocks with window screening material or landscape fabric then put soil on top and then plant in case rain might wash the dirt into the pond. Also, add as many bare root in the rocks in places where their roots will be in water.

I think creeping jenny is a great option as it will crawl around and cover a lot of space. I am not familiar with PA plants but I suspect hosta's might do quite well there.

Empress Wu is one of my favorite hosta's and gets quite large. It would be proportionate to the size of your boulders.

Not mine, just pic I pulled from google.

EmperorWuHosta.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing with that hosta it needs damp soil and shade .I saw it on a garden show here ,but they sure are impressive .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep, you are correct on damp and shade for sure. I planted one in the lowest spot of the yard (that stays damp from the irrigation) under the willow tree. Last year I had to put up a temporary shade around it since the willow hadn't gotten that big yet. Seems to be doing much better this year with the willow providing more shade.

Ask a Question