Help needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have 6 fry that have survived from last years spawning and they are all about 3" now. They are all doing well and survived a really cold winter, however just before Christmas I noticed one of them swimming on its side at the top of the pond.
I moved it to my outdoor quarantine tank to see how it would get on.
That was eight weeks ago and it is still swimming about, feeding but still on its side, there does not appear to be any sign of bloating, he looks perfectly normal.
Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Gav

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try feeeding it shelled peas and chopped earth worm, which are both good for swim bladder problems because of a laxative effect from them.
However it could have been effected by the cold , how are the other fry doing Please?

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try feeeding it shelled peas and chopped earth worm, which are both good for swim bladder problems because of a laxative effect from them.
However it could have been effected by the cold , how are the other fry doing Please?

Dave 54
Hi Dave

This is one of 6 fry that survived, the others are absolutely fine, swimming around under the ice.
This one is swimming around in the quarantine tank quite the thing all be it on its side. I have been adding peas feo a week or so now, but not sure if it is eating them.
Guess I will just keep watching and hope for the best, just dont want it to be suffering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Comets don't really have swim bladder issues like the fancy goldfish do.

Im betting he is just weaker than the other fish and is having a hard time with such cold temperatures.

My advice would be to make sure he is in warm clean water (ammonia and nitrite free) if at all possible try to get his tank water warmer. Any where from 60- 70 degrees will help him recover if he is going to. Also stop with the peas and start to slowly feed your normal food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good luck. I brought my small fry from a late spawning in, and am raising them inside till temps outside are warmer. So far I’ve lost 1 of 12 I think. I have mine in a 30 gal tank with lots of pothos cuttings, I do partial water changes often( the used water goes to house plants) and mine are doing good. I did notice they haven’t gained a lot of color yet, I’m not sure why, but other than that, they are doing good. If it’s on the small side, and stays swimming sideways, you may want to just keep it as a pet fish, it could be one that just won’t make it in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Comets don't really have swim bladder issues like the fancy goldfish do.

Im betting he is just weaker than the other fish and is having a hard time with such cold temperatures.

My advice would be to make sure he is in warm clean water (ammonia and nitrite free) if at all possible try to get his tank water warmer. Any where from 60- 70 degrees will help him recover if he is going to. Also stop with the peas and start to slowly feed your normal food.

Thanks Maria.

Unfortunately I dont have a tank inside, the agreement with my better half is that my hobby stays outside, lol. I do however have a small tank that I could set up in the garage and see if that helps. I do have a friend in the fish rescue charity who could take him and put him in a tank. just a shame to see him like that.

Ask a Question