Help! New House with Koi Pond!

Reaction score
is that a bottom drain in the center of the floor in your first photos? Where/what does it lead to? A pipe?

If so, you could attach a really neat home made barrel filter to that....

Reaction score
Hope this helps. The pond has a bottom drain. You feel I can make a filter in the basement that won't drain the entire pond if the power fails or a leak happens? Thanks, -Bryan.

Attachments

• IMG_0104-2.jpg
    IMG_0104-2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Oh that's marvelous! You'll want to hook that bottom drain up to your filter so that you get that natural gravity flow from the bottom of your pond to your barrel of whatever filter you've got.

What does the filtration on this thing look like? Did it have a filter in place when you got it, or will you need ot add one?

Reaction score
That pump looks like quite the relic! Can you tell what brand/model it is?? Do you even know if it works?

Wow, you are so lucky to have this set up! The previous owner was obviously a total pond nut!

Where does the pipe that is under your leaf basket lead? I'm assuming that the filter was next in between that and the pump? Can you tell where the filter was at all?

Oh, you've got a most interesting winter project on your hands! I'm jealous!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I like how you can see the koi swim out your window
a few pics back was that a long split in the copper pipe you were showing us ?
If you have to inherit a pond , I think you did good
its well done

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wonder if that split was caused by freezing water?
For those who don't know, water expands when frozen. Have a drain valve at the lowest point for emptying your lines that might freeze when the sub zero weather comes.

Reaction score
The slit in the pipe is for the "waterfall" into the pond. That waterfall pipe also has bolts going through is so you can adjust the gap. The pipe under the leaf collection basket is just a support for the whole thing. I am not a big fan of that and when I find a new pump I will change this. This setup was changed already once.... I can tell that once a pump was mounted on bolts into a concrete ledge that is behind the current setup. That old pump that is there does not seem to be working. I flipped the switch and nothing happened. I am not sure what could be going on. The system really has no waste water filter. If I can find something that is made to be below water level I will be so happy.

Reaction score
Personally, I would not buy this pump. Products from Northern Tools are not known for their longevity, but they sure are cheap. You get what you pay for, as they say. A pump will drive your whole system and has to be running 24/7. If it dies, you have a problem on your hands because that means your water quality will disintegrate, the good bacteria you've built up in your filtration will die, and your fish can die within several hours.

Also, I took the liberty of calling the 800# for you since I noticed that the wattage was not listed on the product description. I was told it was 303 watts. That is nearly double the electricity use of a good external filter. So, it may be cheap to buy upfront, but you'll be paying nearly twice to run it each month. I have a Sequence 750 external pump that moves 4,200 gals per hour. It uses only 180 watts. By comparison, that Northern Tools pump moves only 720 GPH and uses 303. BIG difference. Also, you have not yet confirmed the gallonage in your pond, so I don't know if 720 gph is enough. My guess is going to be that it isn't, especially since it has to push up from a basement.

Additionally, ponds should have POND PUMPS, not just any pump or a pool pump. The way equipment and filtration works in a pond is different than the needs are for a pool or a construction site. Pool pumps in particular use a lot of force, something that pond equipment doesn't respond well to. I wouldn't use a pool pump on a pond, just as I wouldn't use a pond pump on a pool. Kinda like putting an engine for a truck on one of them little Mini Coopers...it just doesn't work properly, and wastes unnecessary energy

It sounds like you are on a budget and looking for something inexpensive. Can you tell us the size of your pond (LxWxD) and what your budget is so that we can help you find something more suitable?

You can get an excellent quality Evolution series pump that pushes 1,500 GPH, uses only 128 watts (less than half of that Norther Tools pump), and will cost you only $145 with free shipping. This thing will be whisper quiet and last you many years and be reliable. You might even be able to find it cheaper...

Ask a Question