Help! New House with Koi Pond!

Reaction score
is it already attached or have you just dry stacked it? I hope you can remove it...it truly will be nothing but a headache for you.

I can see now why when one user mentioned to go black, you said brown was fine...you were planning on sheathing with the rock. Wish you would have mentioned that to us...

Reaction score
If the filter must be in the basement below the pond, then you are limited to a pressure filter. They are expensive and not as easy to work with as a Skippy filter (www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm) For a skippy, you would need to go through a wall, but it will be worth it in the long run. If you proceed slowly and do it right, it appears that you will have a very nice pond.

Keep us updated!

Reaction score
Billy, he's in the basement and if he wants to use his existing piping, he's in bed with a pressure system. Nothing wrong with that at all...just another way of doing things. He should take advantage of how things have been set up by all means.

BB just needs to scrap the rock he's considering. He'll be fine if he can get it out of there.

Reaction score
it seems the simplest path is use the plumbing already in the basement. Putting a hole through a wall just for a skippyfilter seems like overkill not to mention expensive.

Plus it's an outside wall, so this creates the problem of keeping out winter weather... a real problem in Rochester unlike Florida

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think it will look just as nice without the rock BB you can still put it in the part where your waterfall is ... and the rocks might well hurt the fish when they spawn ...they go a bit mad then !!! :biggrin:

Reaction score
don't be disappointed, BB! As DrDave says, better to problem solve now than have to rectify things when there is water and fish in the pond. Consider yourself lucky that we have stopped you in time.

If you had told us about the rocks as part of your plan, we certainly would have stopped you sooner. If your rocks are cemented to the wall now, they should be relatively easy to remove since it is fresh work. Simply take them off and then pass another coat of your waterproofing paint. Perhaps now that there is more room in the can the paint shop can put some more black in it for you. Otherwise your dark brown will be fine, too. As long as the color is very dark you can see the fish well.

You would be shocked as to how many of us have had to re-do things we've done with our ponds. It goes with the territory when you're starting out.

You'll be fine. Just backtrack a bit and undo the rock. Trust what we're saying in that we will be saving you from a headache down the road.

Reaction score
Hi BB,

I agree about removing the rocks. I learned the hard way on that one. You only have so much room for fish and plants, no need to fill with rocks that will cause you headaches later on. When my first (rock lined) pond had to come apart, I lost 2 fish because they snuck in the rocks and could not be found during the water and rock removal and they are in heaven now.

Ask a Question