Help! New House with Koi Pond!

Reaction score
external pumps are made for below water level. They can't function otherwise. You will definitely need one of these.

Pressure filters, like the aquadyne you are looking at will work anywhere you put it, yes. It would be important to put ball valves and unions before and after the filter so you can turn off water flow and remove it from the system if need be.

Grundfos is a european commercial and residential plumbing manufacturer. They make very high end and expensive faucets and stuff like that; they also make things like hot water recirculators. I have one of their instant hot water recirculators in my house, actually. And I admired their shower and kitchen faucets when I was doing my home reno...well made, pricey stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II Pond Filter is a good filter that is pressurised and can be below grade.
How many gallons is the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess you could get measurement from the bottom to the first step and figure your sq. feet Length x Width x Depth Then measure from the top of the first step to the bottom of the next step and calculate and go on up then total them to get the square feet and then multiply that number by 7.5 would get you pretty close to the gallons of water that will be in that pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the ledges look equal in size if he measured the L and W at the center ledge and used the ponds full depth hed be real close to average x 7.48

Reaction score
I measured the pond. Except I think I should measure again after the stone is put in. Here is how the stone is looking....

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! nooooooooo stone!!

The stone will only serve to get food, debris, poop and everything else stuck in it. It will be a nightmare to clean. Everything will land in those crevices and be hell to get out. It will in turn affect the water quality of your water and be very difficult to maintain proper water conditions.

Wish you would have mentioned that stone earlier...we all would have stopped you. Stone around the outside top of the pond to make it look more decorative is fine, but not inside the pond.

Am I too late to stop you?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Not to mention the sharp edges may cause injuries to eyes and the fish themselves. If you continue, make it a water feature with no fish and chlorinate the water to avoid a mess.

Reaction score
BB-Koi-Keeper said:
I measured the pond. Except I think I should measure again after the stone is put in. Here is how the stone is looking....

Rock in Rock out! LOL! We put stone in our 1200 gallon pond. From my experience these guys are right the gunk will really get into the crevices. My stone sits flat on the bottom and up the sides. I also used river rock on the ledges. Spent hours. After getting a pond vac and being as meticulous as I am, we have removed a lot of the rock already. It is difficult to keep it clean from all the poop and plant debris. In the interim all the rock will turn green and you won't see the beauty of the rock anyway. We are looking into Rock on a Roll which I learned about on this forum. In a couple of years we will be adding on to our pond and will not be putting rock in except in a beach type area. In the meantime we are romoving as much as we can.

Ask a Question