Help please, ammonia 8ppm!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, over the last couple of months I have had a worsening issue with ammonia in my pond (4 7in hardy goldish). I did a 30 percent water change 4 days ago as it was 4ppm, cleaned filter (rinsed it in pond water) and added ammo lock and nitrazorb. Today it was 8ppm! I did a 85 percent water change, added ammo lock, cleaned some sludge as best I could and even after all that it is 4ppm! I understand ammo lock makes it non toxic, but is it enough? Why would I now be getting such high readings, today was a huge shock shock and I am really concerned for my fish. The pond was new and cycled this time last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm no expert, but I'd like to follow to see what the experts say.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall someone saying that when you use certain chemicals to combat ammonia, you'll still get ammonia readings. Something about the ammonia binding to the chemical. I'm not absolutely positive as I said, but I seem to recall something like that.

I'd be interested in the type of test kit you are using. They say the dip strip type is not that accurate. The one with the liquid reagents is the better type.

It probably wouldn't hurt if you posted some details of your setup... how many gallons, what type of filtration, your climate where you live.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. Using test tubes not strips. You will still get positive readings after ammo lock, however still indicates ammonia is there. And worried it went from 4 to 8ppm in 4 days and huge water change only reduced it back to 4ppm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hi there. Any plants in the pond? What is in the filter? 660l is pretty small for 7inch goldfish. is there any biological filter media in the filter? With the water changes do you use something to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah dismayed to hear it might be too small as thought I'd done my research only getting 4. It has ceramic media and sponge filters. Yes, I use something to neutralise ?clear start? Any further thoughts really appreciated, thanks. It was all ok till a couple months ago. There is pondweed and added more, though less than in warmer months. They also don't seem to be showing distress signs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Katemort !

Yes, I am afraid your pond is too small for fish that size. That may be the ammonia problem, or perhaps not. But I'd like to suggest that you just stop - everything. The water changes, the chemicals additives, yes even the bacteria. You'll never figure out what's up if you keep shifting and changing and poking and prodding.

I do wonder if you're readings are correct - ammonia that high should have your fish floating belly up with most of their scales burned right off their bodies. A bit hyperbolic, but even a reading of 1PPM is in the danger zone.

Have you tested your source water? Ammonia is added to tap water here in the US - not sure what's common in your country. But again, I seriously doubt your readings are correct or your fish would be in very bad shape.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616020234101.gif
@Katemort

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I am also skeptical of the reading you have from your tests. I suspect the test kit is bad or something is wrong.
I am surprised it goes up to 8ppm. Get a new test kit do the test carefully. Let us know what happens please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all. Have ordered a new kit, different brand, arriving friday. It's only been a fairly recent problem. Terrifying to think what it could do to them. So the pond is really too small? So ultimately, may have to add to it (dig deeper, or add another layer of sleepers to raise it, and put a whole new liner in)? Would that also mess up the bacteria? I'd hoped the pond would provide growing room, got them as 5 to 6 inch 10 months ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
raise the pond and you can stick new liner to the existing liner to add height. Deeper water is always nicer for fish.
Keep an eye on the fish while waiting for the new test kit. If the ammonia is really there you will see signs of the fish being distressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Add plants if you can. A common house plant : pothos, will suck up the excess results of the ammonia after it’s broke down, if your outside temps are warm enough to put some in. Including pic so you’ll know the plant. Just add as many cuttings as you can, and plan to pot them up inside after they have great roots and your problems are resolved. Have you considered adding a bog filter? It sounds like your pond is raised sides, so you’d have to do a container bog, and have it set to pour into the pond. But it’s a great way to reduce nitrite, which is the final product of ammonia. The bog is filled with water loving plants, ( hint: mint is aggressive, but will spread like crazy from a few cuttings, and is good in tea! There are other herbs or edible plants that would enjoy a bog) and this would decrease the waste in the water, reduce any fights with algae, and increase water volume with out having to increase the pond, if you can get a big enough bog. You said the pond is 150ish gallons? That’s enough for two and a half fish at the general rule of 60ish gallons each. So you’ll need to basically double the pond volume, of which you could partially do as a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forgot to add the pothos pics. The verigated one was just added days ago, the smaller one started in my mini bog and was moved to that aquarium to reduce its nitrite load. Darn guppies keep breeding!
F7A5973B-C989-4982-9547-CD83A2A3B657.jpeg
623B1818-A25D-4050-9AEF-F6A5F9B3230A.jpeg
EDF30A6B-E394-4313-AC1E-B5AEE1A0BB19.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. It's 3.5 foot deep but a lot is shalloer
Add plants if you can. A common house plant : pothos, will suck up the excess results of the ammonia after it’s broke down, if your outside temps are warm enough to put some in. Including pic so you’ll know the plant. Just add as many cuttings as you can, and plan to pot them up inside after they have great roots and your problems are resolved. Have you considered adding a bog filter? It sounds like your pond is raised sides, so you’d have to do a container bog, and have it set to pour into the pond. But it’s a great way to reduce nitrite, which is the final product of ammonia. The bog is filled with water loving plants, ( hint: mint is aggressive, but will spread like crazy from a few cuttings, and is good in tea! There are other herbs or edible plants that would enjoy a bog) and this would decrease the waste in the water, reduce any fights with algae, and increase water volume with out having to increase the pond, if you can get a big enough bog. You said the pond is 150ish gallons? That’s enough for two and a half fish at the general rule of 60ish gallons each. So you’ll need to basically double the pond volume, of which you could partially do as a bog.
Thank you. The advice is so confusing, some sites say 20 gallons per inch of fish, others more...

Ask a Question