Help !! Why do I keep losing fish its driving me insane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, after some advice please I’m losing koi, up to 6 now ranging in size lost a few of my young ones and more established ones, sounds daft but I rigged up a new Air pump well it was second hand, it’s a yamitsu high flow with 12 outlets, only had three running as it’s a beast of an air pump but ever since that went in I’ve found a few dead at the bottom, now I’m finding them floating. It can’t be anything to do with that can it ? I’ve tested nitrate and ammonia all fine 🤷‍♂️ and treat them with anti parasite over 5 days the other week, they do seem to be sat at the surface a lot ? Please anyone have any advice

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What size is your pond and how many and what kind of fish did you have?

Are you using liquid tests for testing the water? Do you have a test result for nitrite, pH and KH? If so, please post the results here with the actual numbers and for the ammonia and nitrate tests you have done.

Is there a lot of debris on the bottom of the pond that might have gotten stirred up by the air you just put in?

What type of filtration do you have?

What medication did you use for parasites?

Sorry for all the questions but we need this information to try to figure out what is going on with your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
Everyone can try to help with a bit more information.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Yes, we need more information about your pond. It’s like if you walk into the doctors office and say, “I have a stomach ache.”

“Stomach ache” is a very general term. It is a symptom. The doctor is going to ask you questions, to try to find out what’s wrong. He/she is also going to examine you, and probably do diagnostic lab work.

Dying fish are “the symptom.” You don’t want to FIX/CURE the symptom, you want to know what’s causing or contributing to the problem, and fix that.

In almost every situation, it’s going to be due to WATER QUALITY ISSUES!

• How big is your pond?
  • How long has it been up and running?
  • Water test results — very important! If you don’t already test your water, consider getting a liquid test kit and start doing that. (and knowing the NUMBERS is essential, not “OK,“ or “good.”)
  • How many and what kind of fish do you have?
  • Has anything recently changed with your pond: added new fish? cleaned the pond? added new plants?
  • Is there a chance that yard water (run-off) can be getting into your pond? What about pesticides or chemicals from a neighboring yard?
  • What kind of filtration do you have?
  • Do you use any chemicals in your pond? ….such as algecide, etc.?
  • If you are on a city water system that treats water, do you add a dechlorinator when you add or change water?
  • Where do you live/climate info, etc?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcomescuba.gif
@J0nn091

Ask a Question