Help: With 55 gallon barrel filter...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the stock tank is oval and oblong enough to slow the waterflow enough so the debris settles before it hits and plugs up the filter media. ive been using the same scrubby pads for over a year and have yet to have them clog or even be cleaned. when they were transfered to the new larger filter after a year i was amazed at how clean they were.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Ok, changing my mind a bit. I found this site http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

And it sounds pretty good, and it has a complete checklist. I could have all of it tomorrow, and possibly installed. Would some of you mind taking some time and reading over this? There's also some pics on the site and whatnot. Just need some opinions. The Writer on the site, seems pretty sure of this filter.

Also, I have planned for whenever i get the new filter running, no matter what it is, I want to do a pretty good cleaning of my pond, at least 50%, because the algae and gunk has built up on the sides and rocks and pump pretty bad. Any tips suggestions on doing this? I would like to get the fish out for a while, could i just use the same pond water in a tub of some sort? How long would they last in there without an oxygen supply? Because I could run some of those aerator tubes i used to use for my old aquarium into the tub if needed.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DrCase said:
How long did it take to colect all the caps DrDave ?

My son works with a bunch of young engineers that inhale soft drinks. They save the caps for him and he brings them over by the shopping bag full. I have so many now that I don't need any more.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
BlakeA said:
Ok, changing my mind a bit. I found this site http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

And it sounds pretty good, and it has a complete checklist. I could have all of it tomorrow, and possibly installed. Would some of you mind taking some time and reading over this? There's also some pics on the site and whatnot. Just need some opinions. The Writer on the site, seems pretty sure of this filter.

Also, I have planned for whenever i get the new filter running, no matter what it is, I want to do a pretty good cleaning of my pond, at least 50%, because the algae and gunk has built up on the sides and rocks and pump pretty bad. Any tips suggestions on doing this? I would like to get the fish out for a while, could i just use the same pond water in a tub of some sort? How long would they last in there without an oxygen supply? Because I could run some of those aerator tubes i used to use for my old aquarium into the tub if needed.

Just don't get fooled by their comment about 55 gallon drums not working as well. They obviously lack an engineering or physics background.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
BlakeA said:

Just don't get fooled by their comment about 55 gallon drums not working as well. They obviously lack an engineering or physics background. They could learn a lot from Newton if they could read.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Haha, true, I don't see the troft being much better, if any. But right now I'm liking the troft idea, it's easier to access should i need to, and i plan to place it where my waterfall is currently, and bury it about halfway underground, and cover rest with rocks, and put a few plants into it.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
DrDave said:
I give up, what is a troft? Even Google doesn't know what it is.

Haha, hmm, maybe I said it wrong, it's a "stock tank" a troft, if I'm not mistaken is one of those long low tanks that people feed pigs from I believe?

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
BlakeA said:
Haha, hmm, maybe I said it wrong, it's a "stock tank" a troft, if I'm not mistaken is one of those long low tanks that people feed pigs from I believe?

and I can't seem to find it anywhere either, maybe it's just a southern term my grandmother used when i was young. But the definition i was always taught, was those pig feeder tank things, and my roommate's father also called the stock tank i plan to use a troft when i asked him if i could have it. haha

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that is the filter i use... in the DIY section here "my 70 gallon skippy filter" more pix of mine. the designers name is Ian from 'Beautiful Ponds and Gardens'. they are good folks. i just made slight modifications to mine.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The skippy style filter has been around a long time,,If you got the room for it ,its not a bad way to go...But i would not let it go for long with out flushing the muck out..

Ask a Question