Help with setting up x2 150g Rubbermaid stock tanks/ponds in Phoenix heat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love shade cloth - I lived in Cottonwood for 25 years and had it all over the place. Over my garden, my windows, my porch, my dogs pool - you name it. I bought the 75 % or higher beige and attached it to pvc or wood or tied it to something solid. It made a HUGE difference and it lasted for 15 years. I had orandas, fantails and asst. other fancy goldfish in a 3 foot deep, in ground pond with straight sides. My only regret is that I didn't build myself a bog or know about this forum as a reference. Best of luck.
Thank you so much! Cottonwood is beautiful, I've been there once. You have trees and green stuff everywhere. I love it.

I have used shade cloth plenty with gardening and I know it saves my garden plants, I'm just concerned that it would shade too much light for the aquatic submerged plants, since the light needs to be brighter to reach them through the water. I don't want to drop the PAR too much by adding shade cloth. If it was just for the fish then I would most certainly use it, but because my main goal is to grow more plants outside, I don't want to inhibit that process. Maybe a lower percentage of shade cloth may work, not sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd also like to add that both ponds are up and running and have been since June 30th. I used sand as a substrate, using canister filters for filtration for right now. I also added seeded filter Media from my tanks inside so that the cycling process would be easier. I've been testing them both and only had a hiccup in pond number 2 when my canister stopped running for a day.

I got both of them planted and they both have floaters as well. There are young water Lilies in both, plus one has Amazon Frogbit, while the other has Water Lettuce. I added Mosquito fish to both ponds. I have lots of Dwarf Parrots Feather coming in the next couple days, so will be planting that out there as well.

I only have the ability to do temp checks at the surface of the water where it's of course more hot than down below. But it's been reading in the mid 90s. I haven't lost any fish from the high temps yet, I'm hoping they are staying cooler at the bottom. I have about 50% surface coverage with the floaters right now, and lots of aeration at the surface to utilize evaporative methods for cooling. But what else can I do? I guessing the screening on the top provides about a 50% blockage from the sun from the comparisons I've made.

Fish are happy, plants are mostly happy. My Anacharis melted for some reason. But dozens of other types of plants are doing fine. I can't even kill Anacharis on purpose, so not sure what the deal is. Maybe it doesn't like the warm water. I also noticed today when going out to check on everyone that the sides of the stock ponds are now covered in green algae(green and fluffy, but not sure if it's hair algae), it literally appeared overnight. Pretty sure it's due to the heat and sun. I tested both ponds and my nitrates are fine, so there isn't excessive amounts of nutrients or waste in the water, and I'm not overfeeding.

I know the algae is taking available nutrients away from my plants, and it can deplete the oxygen levels harming the fish later down the road. But I've read that Mosquito fish eat algae in addition to larvae and other things. Should I stop feeding them and just see if they resolve the issue? Or should I not wait that long? I don't want to add chemicals. Any ideas?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Algae on the surfaces is not necessarily bad and will probably disappear eventually, especially once your floaters get going. In the meantime, it harbors lots of microorganisms and will provide a food source for any omnivorous fish. Many pond keepers experience it as a phase in the spring until the other plants get going.

Goldfish and mollies are especially adept at feeding on it. With your aeration, low O2 levels should not be an issue, just like another aquatic plant as long it does not grow out of control. I'd see if the mosquitofish can work on it while your other plants establish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I second that and would leave the surface algae alone. It’s probably sucking up the nitrates, hence the low readings. My goldfish eat it and my pond plants out compete it, so I have less algae as I get more plant growth. Suspended algae that clouds the water is more harmful, and string algae, that wraps around everything is annoying but easily removed by hand. It seems like you’re off to a good start!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's not a huge concern. I'll see if the Mosquito fish start to work on it. Right now its4jsut on the sides of the stock tanks. But in pond number 2, the one on the dirt next to the tortoise enclosure. I noticed that in addition to the furry algae on the sides that water seems to have a green tinge. It has less floaters than the first pond as the Water Lettuce hasn't had much time to spread yet. What does the green hue to the water mean? I feel like I should do a water change, but that's my aquarium instincts kicking in. Lol. I don't know what to do with this pond stuff. It's driving me mad. Lol.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ditto on the the green water algae. Outside with stronger light, you are going to see much more algae growth when a system is establishing or out of balance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on it all and leave it for now. Would a water change be beneficial do you think(in pond #2 with the green tinged water) , or would that hinder the pond trying to cycle and establish itself?

Ask a Question