Help setting up pump/hose system

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, and I need some advice. I am renovating an existing pond.

Some background: The pond has a waterfall, and I'd like to slow the fall from a gush to a trickle. Also all the rock around the perimeter of the pond is small broken shale and I have removed it all to replace with Pennsylvania field stone. That will be the subject of my next post!

I cut the hose {1 1/4"} and added a diverter to divert half of the water back to the pond before it's journey to the waterfall. On the section of hose leading back to the pond I added a ball valve to help control the water flow.
Unfortunately, with the ball valve on, the water continues to gush to the waterfall. When I open the valve the difference is barely noticeable.

The diversion to the pond occurs before the route to the falls. I checked the valve and it is functioning properly.

I then removed the valve and the water came out of both hoses with equal force, until I lifted the waterfall hose to the level it will be when the falls are complete and the water stopped entirely and only emptied into the pond.
Do I need to add another valve to the hose that leads to the waterfall?
Maybe then I can reduce the flow to the falls but still be able to divert the extra pressure into the pond and away from the pump.

Is there any way I can damage the pump with back pressure if any of the valves aren't open enough/properly? Is there a formula to determine this?
What do I look out for?
I guess that all for now, thanks in advance for any advice, great forum!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You hit it on the head. Ball valve to waterfall is the way to go. It is the one you want reduced, so it gets the regulation.

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE FAST REPLY!
Should I remove the ball valve from the pond line and transfer it to the water fall line, or add a second valve to the fall line and use both valves to adjust the flow rate to the falls?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you cant have enough valves. the valve to the water fall will regulate it .having a valve on all your pump outlet lines will give you complete control of every outlet...a balanced system.....

Reaction score
Went with 2 valves, and it's running flawlessly.
Spent yesterday rebuilding the entire stone structure. Boy, rocks are heavy. Hope to finish the waterfall tomorrow. Will post before and after pics. Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE FAST REPLY!
Should I remove the ball valve from the pond line and transfer it to the water fall line, or add a second valve to the fall line and use both valves to adjust the flow rate to the falls?

But with this procedure all fishes will flow away from the other pass. Pond honors make this type of setups for cleaning water. I have two ponds when we want to clean one we transfer all fishes to other pond and clean first one.

Ask a Question