addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is a "shubunkins"? Never heard of it!
they are a type of goldfish, multi colors.

not my picture

pic%20-%20breeds-shubunkin1.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok MS it is.................if I remember :D
Now if you add on your profile that you are from there my brain might compute o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, those are a nice size. How do you tell the difference between the male and female? or do I dare ask? lol
How big is your pond? Right now we are about 10" and the pond is 20-25'
Take a look at the vent area this will let you know which is which with the female koi you will see a line running from head to tail and then underneath this one line running crossways at the tail end .
With the male you dont find this cross peice they just have the line running head to tail

Dave

Reaction score
Take a look at the vent area this will let you know which is which with the female koi you will see a line running from head to tail and then underneath this one line running crossways at the tail end .
With the male you dont find this cross peice they just have the line running head to tail

Dave

That is extremely interesting, Dave! Is that the same with non-Koi carp as well? I have always been told that there is no tell tale way of telling unless you catch the fish spawning or take DNA, etc. I will certainly make a mental note of this for future reference.

Do you have any pics of these lines so we know exactly what to look for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you a copy of the Interpet Manual Koi Health Van?
That book is a sort of second bible fish health wise the first being The Interpet Manual of Fish Health and are two oh the first books fish health wise we ever bought go to page 91 top left of page there is the information you seek in photo graphic form :D
If you dont already own a copy here is the information you'll need to buy one mate :cool:
The Interpet Manuel of Koi Health.........ISBN 1842860992 Author Keith Holmes Tony Pitham :cool:
There is another way you could sex them if you wish but I wouldnt really recomend it :( :-

Personally I'd prefare the book way of doing things myself ,dont you think ???
As to if thats across the board fish wise Van I would say no mate but it may be an idea when your out fishing to test that and see what you come up with mate .
It would be a very good experiment for you to try out if your up for the challenge (y) ?

Dave

Reaction score
I will look about for that book Dave. That's one of the reasons for asking is to determine which of the fish in the pools are male & female, to gauge growth rates etc.

Are the lines visible from any size or just the larger specimens?

Ask a Question