I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
jamajid

I saw the nice photos of your pond and glad your fish are showing up and eating. Sounds like you are feeling much better :cheerful:

Reaction score
jw:
yes, much happier to see the three surviving fish schooling...eating...doing anything but hiding!
now thinking of adding fish to make the group move on from being survivors to residents :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would not rush out and get any new ones too soon. You might want to watch the survivors and make certain things are going to be good for awhile. I know you are eager but better perhaps to wait.

Reaction score
jw: agreed - im thinking - my more patient wife is telling me to wait also :)
right now im looking into QT and what that will take... so im trying to keep myself occupied that way.
rather interestingly the local water garden also said to wait a little while before adding - nice to see they are not there just to sell me fish....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and they will have babies ,well as long as least one of them is a female :cheerful:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At least he was honest .I see the 2 we have here just want to sell you stuff .I think in 11 years I must have given away lots of my baby fish every year .I tried to keep my number to 13 fish .Right now I have 18 and a month ago I gave 10 to a fellow ponder from NC and he gave me 2 lotus tubers .I feel I got more than I gave .He has lots of really big healthy lotus like addy has .3 big 100 gallon tubs of them

Reaction score
my wife and i went looking at another local water garden - it was a sunday - only one person manning the place with a very friendly cat.
Saw some HUGE koi and a VERY big pleco!
we were looking for some floating planters for the pond - the lady was pretty nice, told us to come back in a month or two as the plants were not good right now.
So thats another watergarden that seems to offer advice over selling...
their fish were in good ponds, but the leaf nets were covered in leaves - unlike the other place we saw a few weeks back.
The fish here were also more scared as we walked past - but i guess this is ok?

Reaction score
Once source of help is your local koi/pond club. My quick google search showed that there is both a koi club and a pond club in Houston. I promise you that one or both of these will have people who are delighted to come out, check out your pond, show you how to maintain everything, and when everything is healthy, give you some nice fish, or at least sell them super cheap..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Better to have them scared of predators than be eaten .Plus fish get friendlier with more 1 on 1 with the person feeding them .

Reaction score
shakaho: thanks - yes i will get in touch with one of those groups as soon as i know what i want to ask! :)(
sissy: totally agree with you - better scared until, they know "the shadow" :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
once the fish get used to you feeding them they will welcome you whole hardly .I can tell each of my fish personalities .

Reaction score
sissy: yes, for the three survivors, i can tell they have distinctly different ways to approach the food and me... but all three wait to eat, like they are waiting to see if the food is real or not - or perhaps they decide to ignore it at first and then eat it after about 5 minutes of it sitting there.... :)

Ask a Question