hi, another newbie here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
joining in part because I'm interested in pond plants!

we've been in this house for a couple of years now, so I'm hoping to replace the existing pink water lilies with something a bit more to my taste in colors. there might be a white one in there, too, but the pink blooms more.
saw the post on dividing them, which makes me suspicious that the pots on out pond almost certainly need dividing. i wish i knew which pot was the white one!

we also have some enthusiastic Pickerel weed that i need to split, actually.

we've got goldfish, which breed every year with great enthusiasm. i keep giving some away to people locally. :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I am new here too and the knowledge of the people here is endless. If you want to keep one of the two plants I suppose you have a few options. You could split both plants and once they start blooming pull out the one you don’t want. Or you could not split them and pull out the plant you don’t want once it starts blooming, and split the one you want to keep next year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome did you take pics of the flowers last year because that might give you some idea .I use old credit cards in my pots and take a pic and write on each one which is which with my plants .Any plastic free cards that come in the mail get saved and used as plant markers in my ponds .I take the pic and put it on my puter with which one is which .I have stock tanks i got at a house auction cheap and put my plants in there when I divide them and throw fertilizer in the stock tank to fertilize them .I even reuse the pots i get large plants in I just clean and soak them good in peroxide and water and then plant my lilies .The pots come in green ,brown ,black and red here and that helps also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the welcomes, and the ideas!

Unfortunately, the three pots are all very close together in the deepest part of the pond. This makes it very difficult to tell what flower came from which pot. This is probably worsened by the fact that I have no idea how long the plants have been there filling up the pots. I kind of feel likes don't care strongly enough about the white one to try to figure out which it is, and just get known things - and use the plastic card suggestion sissy made for any new plants.

I definitely plan to pull out the very heavy pots once the water is warm enough for me to climb in there comfortably. Those and the clump of pickerel weed need splitting, if nothing else!

It's not a huge pond, but it is big enough that the plants and fish survive the winter no problem. And big enough that I can't reach the center from the edges, even if the pots weren't submerged. I forget the measurements we took our first year here.

Here's a photo from two years ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wispfox/5906363514/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh you will need super arms if it has been a couple of years .You can sell or find people to take the extras that live near you with ponds also .I even gave some of my divides to a local garden center and he gave them to other pond owners .He named them sissy lily pond plants for free in the local paper and all 8 of them went in 4 days .I will be going there to pick up more pond plant floaters ,afraid all mine in the basement i over winter died from neglect .To busy after my hubbies heart attack and 2 surgeries and doctor visits .I have had some of them for over 5 years too .

Reaction score
Nice pond wispfox,
Great idea with the plastic cards Sissy, I am going to do that when I divide mine this year. I have been putting it off myself as it is a problem to get down there (4 feet) at the right time of year due to temps. I was just given a wetsuit so I will be able to go in there this year, not that I am looking forward to it. I know up here some of these lilies go for $50 each, so I plan on potting and selling my split plants online for $20 each. If that doesn’t create interest I will give them away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

to our group. If your lilies jumped their pots they will be very very heavy to pull out. I had one jump its pot in a small preform, I could barely pull it out and I am not weak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums! :wave: That's a lovely looking pond you've got there!

Reaction score
Spoken like a true New Englander LOL ... Not many understand how screwy my weather is here, even most folks from MA ... come over those bridges and it's a different world LOL.

Ask a Question