Hi from Montana!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I looked it up after you described it and I was right ... pickeral rush is the common name! You'll like that one, too and it's also hardy. Mine are getting going again and I separated a couple of them and put them in the new bog. Just bought one plant last year, and they send roots sideways and over the edge of the pot, lots of new plants this year. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, I have a bleeding heart. My sister dug it up and sent it to me about 5 years ago, and I moved it to my house here 2.5 years ago. It sure has not grown very much, but it just got done blooming. I need to fertilize it more, I think. :) Wish it would fill out more and multiply!!! :)
BTW, I love plants and landscaping, and I have finally found my niche, and am truly loving it! Plants in the dirt, and now plants in the water. How can life be better than that?!

Reaction score
I've have had multiple bleeding hearts and they have either been eaten by deer or did not make it. I have one where it doesn't get to much light probably where I would put a hosta and it is getting huge. Try putting it where it doesn't get to much sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That may work. I have it on the east side, south end of the house, so likely gets way too much light. May try that! Thanks for the tip! I don't have any deer, though, sadly. Too wide open, no shelter for them to hide in if necessary. Only seen deer in the field near my house 2 times since I've lived here, and they were running both times. :)

Reaction score
I have deer when I come home from work laying in my yard. I love them but I hate that they eat everything in my yard. :sad: We fenced in my deck cause I put alot of plants out and I had one doe that jumped over the fence and ate everything. It is really hard to keep them out of my plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I love deer, but I would sure hate them to be so tame and eat my plants! So, I guess I'm glad I don't have them to worry about. Yikes, that would be awful, to have to fence in your deck. Wow! No wonder you have problems with your plants. You have to look at the tags and get the ones that have the "no deer" indication. :)

Reaction score
There are so many plants that I like that the deer also like. I grow my tomatoes on my deck on the south side and since it is high up i don't have a problem with them getting up there. I really try to find deer resistant plants but sometimes I give into some that aren't. Guess deer are one of the problem you have to deal with when you live out in the country.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a ton of deer wander through. They totally leave my gardens alone. Mixed in with all the plants are deer resistant ones. They have a smell the deer don't like. With the smell of those deer resistant ones, they leave the non resistant plants alone. The only plant I can not grow where they can reach is sun flowers, they love the leaves. No fencing to keep the suckers out. My veggie garden just has a 2 foot high fence, I put in marigolds with the veggie plants, the deer don't like the smell of marigolds. So far they have left the veggies alone............hope this year is the same.

We have a ton of rabbits, a ground hog don't see any damage to worry about them nibbling on plants. Guess I have enough to not miss a few nibbled leaves.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; your chameleon plant is Houttuynia cordata variegata. Variegata is the tri-coloured cultivar, the regular H. cordata has only green on its leaves, and is MUCH more invasive.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dang, John, you are VERY good! That is exactly what the tag says for my plant. I'm glad it's not as invasive. Hope it makes it through this cold snap we are experiencing. Not really that cold today, but VERY windy, and supposed to get down to the 30's again next couple of night. Yuck!

Reaction score
Ready to start adding my lilies to my pond. Have the plastic containers, the kitty litter and the osmocote. Temp in the pond tonight was up to 48 degrees. Really good concidering last night the outside temp was 29 degrees. We got up to about 60 today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have fun, mine are all hitting the surface now.

Ask a Question