Hi from Montana!

Reaction score
Started my pond up tonight because water is starting to get pretty green. Today was 54 but checked and tonight is suppose to be 32 then back up to low 50's tomorrow. When I started the pond the temp on the bottom was 45.1 and then after about 45 mins temp dropped to 44.7. Right now temp is 39.7 outside. What to do? :unsure: Maybe just turn it on again in the morning before I go to work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
MT, if you're worried about green wa;[ter, and if the lows are not going to be below 32, you could leave it running. If you want warmer water, then only turn it on during the day, to circulate the warmer air into the water, warming it. The fish will be fine with the temps, just don't change it up and down all the time. If you leave the pumps running, then it will be more steady! Good luck, spring has to be just around the corner for you. :)

Reaction score
I keep my pump going all year round. The outflow feeds a little stream that the birds, squirrels and even the deer drink from all winter long. And the waterfall keeps a section of the pond free from ice, aerating the water and allowing any gases from the pond to escape.

The splashing from the waterfall creates interesting ice formations all around the entry point to the pond and along the bordering boulders. This adds a lot of visual interest to the pond, especially when covered in a new blanket of snow -- though we didn't get much of the white stuff this year.

Reaction score
Ended up turning my pump off the night I started it up. Then my hubby started it up again when he got home from work yesterday. It ran for about 6 hours and temp only dropped 2 degrees so I left it on all night. This morning temp wasn't much lower then it was the night before so I left it running today. Tonight the temp outside is 45 and the bottom of the pond is 44 which is a couple of degree up from this morning. I can already see a big difference in the clarity of the water. Now I can't wait for the outside temp to warm up more so I can put my lilies, cattails and the 4 butterfly koi that I've had in my house all winter. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, glad to hear your water is clearing up nicely! I stuck my tropical lilies out a little early, we were so warm, then we dropped to 17, but the pond has managed to stay around 50, they are still growing nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I noticed of the lilies I separated and transplanted, they are all growing really well, some of the ones I already had in the pond have finally reached the surface! The ones from you, Addy, are all growing, just checked each one of them. Had to raise the pots, since the water is not very clear. GOT to get the bog done tomorrow! That's my #1 priority. And, with the rain that came this evening, I have the excuse to stay inside tonight and clean ... will be fresh and ready to finish the bog tomorrow. Woohoo!!! THEN, I will need to separate plants in my other bog, put some (most) of them in the new bog, try to get things really growing in there to help filter the water. Can't wait!!!
Glad your temps are going up in your pond, MtPond! Your fish will be sooo excited to be in the big pond! I had babies in my basement "pool" all winter, and they are sure enjoying their new digs, too. I'm glad I had them eating out of my hand in the basement, because they learned immediately to come with the other koi for feeding time. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear that CE, mine all have leaves hitting the surface of the water. Have some buds cranking out.

Have fun tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish we would get some decent weather so I could put mine in the pond that I got from addy. They are growing in a big tub right now but the weather is just too cold and rainy to do anything right now. We got hail and rain today when I was out walking and I got drenched!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BURRRRRRR jw, we stayed around 41 or so, but heading back up next week into the 70's again. Raining a little today, tonight and tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, the rain that got me this evening sure didn't last very long. The worst of it stayed south of my house, maybe by 3-5 miles, thank goodness. It supposedly had hail the size of quarters!
Supposed to be only around 70 tomorrow, but 80's on Sunday and sunny both days, or that's what I'm counting on. LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looking good for you CE! Let the sun shine in.................wish it would shine in here too...........oh well maybe by July!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'd try to help you out, JW, but seems my weather always is heading to the east coast, and came from the west. I think it does all sorts of changes going over those mountains, though, after it leaves your house. :) So, whatever I tend to have today, those on the east coast will be getting tomorrow. I'm still really concerned that with all this early beautiful weather we are having that either 1) we are going to have some really bad tornado storms this spring, or 2) our June-Aug is going to be 110 temps! I won't say 90's because 2 years ago, we only have a couple of days each of those 3 months that was NOT in the 90's. It was awful and with our humidity ... nasty!
The best part about these nice temps now are that there are very few bugs. I'm liking that the most!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's ok CE we have lived here our whole lives and you'd think we'd be used to it but we aren't. We could leave if we wanted but don't know where to go. Somewhere warmer and drier would be nice but don't like it too hot or too cold. We'll figure it out eventually or just stay here as a home base and travel around like vagabonds!
Hope you don't get those nasty tornado's or horrible heat waves.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if the water at the pond surface is 35* and its 38* at the bottom and your pumps drawing water from the bottom your essentially mixing the two. the time spent "in air" from the falls is a second or so. this is not enough time to effect its temp one way or another. you are however taking the warmer water from and cooling it as it dumps into the colder water at the top...this can narrow the gap in temps, or even eliminate it. depending on pump size, depth of pond, etc.. when your water warms up, the temps will invert, and the warmer water will be at the top and cooler water will be at the bottom.

Ask a Question