Hi from Montana!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok I cant figure out my lillies in the pond...I put em in about two weeks ago now and it's been in the 70's and 80's here in nebraska but mine have small red leaves (pads) that shot up out of the water and not green like there were last year when I bought them...any ideas as to why?
Last years pads were like 4" and green these are like maroonish and about 2"...I did put some fertilizer sticks in with them a few days ago...yet have no clue as to why they are the way they are.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pads all start out as red, then turn green as they grow in size at the water surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Rebel, mine all did the same thing as yours. I love the red color, wish they would stay that color. Maybe when I put them in last year, it was far warmer. I'm pretty sure it was mid June before I bought them, so water and air temps would have been warmer than now for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
phew...thought something was wrong with mine! Thanks! Guess I'll just wait and see and am glad they are growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mine are all still red. I'm secretly hoping they stay that way. LOL The large tubers I pulled from a lake last fall are growing, but not nearly as quickly as the smaller tuber lilies. I'm wondering what color the flowers will be, but assuming white. If you recall, I found them floating, after a motor boat had been in the cover they were growing in, so I snatched the two tubers I could reach (I was in a kayak). One was floating earlier this year, stuck in the skimmer, koi probably dug it up, but I put it back, bigger rock on top, and so far they are staying put!

Reaction score
Our weather here has still been fairly cool. My pond temp is back down to the low 40's. At what water temp or outside temp can I put my water lilies in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Lilies can live in the pond year round, as long as the tubers don't freeze. If you have them inside and they are growing in warm water, slowly cool off the water in them, put them in a cooler place (garage or outside shed) and then put them in the pond! They should be fine. My pond was down to 54 this morning. Good luck! BTW, I have just purchased a dozen elephant ear bulbs, if you're interested in one! They were only a little over a dollar each, so could not resist. They are more like $5 and up around here, so figured I'd go for it. I plan on keeping 6 of them, will share the others if I have any takers. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put out the tropical lily I had in my basement over the winter, it did fine even with the temp drop we have had. The hardy lilies all have leave hitting the surface, some are even sending up flower buds.

Reaction score
CE i would be interested in an elephant ear. I knew you could winter your lilies in the pond but I only had one last year so I brought it in. I wasn't sure what the temp of the water had to be in order for you to put them back in the pond. Thanks for your info. Today the pond temp got up to 46 degrees so I put in a pontederia Cordata and a Black Gamecock louisiana Iris that I got at Lowes this week-end. Hope they make it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My iris have grown all winter, the water has dropped low 30's, yours should be fine.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no problem glad I could help. My hardy lilies stayed out all winter also, as long as they are deep enough to not freeze the tuber they will come back just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And I have that exact same iris! Just separated my plants (not all, but a good portion of them) from original bog to start filling the new much larger bog! Yes, I will send you an elephant ear, MT. Should get them this week, so PM me with your address again and I'll get yours in the mail when they come. I'll let you know when I'm mailing them.
And, what is the other plant you got at Lowes, I'm not as familiar with the proper name, do you know what the common name is? Seems I have that one, too, but not positive. Oh, just looked, mine is "Cordata Variegata" and I think it is called a Chameleon plant. Kind of looks like a house plant leaf, colors from yellow, green and pink in the leaves.

Ask a Question