addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond went up to 51, the fish were hanging around the floating liner, even swimming on top of it where it has a slight dip. They must like that warm water.

Reaction score
Tonight bottom of pond was 37.5 and top of pond was 36. The high the last couple of days has been 40. When i came home last night from work my pond was cloudy. The sun did shine some yesterday. Tonight I took readings. Ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 7.2. Extended forcast 41 Friday , 39 Friday and then in the lower 30's until Friday then its in the low 40's. I would love to have the highs that some of you guys are experiencing! I am so ready for summer so I can really enjoy my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I hear, ya, MT. I want the highs that Sissy is having on the southeast coast, but I do love having all 4 seasons in Illinois. I like having just the right amount of winter, usually 2 months of colder temps, this year being the exception, and most of the year is spring through fall, which are my favorite seasons (spring and fall, that is). Summer ... well it can get annoying with the high humidity, but I have AC, and cousin has a pool. LOL And, I swam with my fish last summer a couple of times so that was fun, too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The thing is JW you are lucky in a way because at least your plants grow great and you don't get the drought like I do .I lost a lot of lawn grass last year because of the lack of rain and have had to reseed a lot of my lawn and that costs money and I did not get much fruit off my fruit trees because of the lack of water ..So country likes a fishy tickle LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes tis true sissy we usually don't suffer from any drought here but it can happen if we get some hot days for a long period of time but not often. We have such sandy soil at our property tho that we need to water even w/ just a short amt of hot days. I like to use a lot of mulch to help save on watering a lot.

Reaction score
Woke up to a little more snow this morning, Bottom of pond is 36.5 and top of tank 36. Outside temp is 34. Pond is still a little cloudy. Would love to start my pump, I don't think it would freeze up but I don't want the bottom of the pond any colder, its not very warm right now. I may end up doing a small water change. Come on sunshine! Weather advisory until 8 tonight. Periods of snow and blowing snow causing poor visibility. One to three more inches of snow. :sad:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Snow falling here too mt and was looking forward to warmth also but it sure is pretty out there now and sticking really good! My pond is running fine all winter here w/ no shutoff. Fish went down under today tho looking for better weather.

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

I can see one fish close to the surface

IMG_3665.JPG

Even Mr Alligator doesn't look like he's enjoying the snow

IMG_3666.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are running everywhere, turning the pump on got them going.

Reaction score
This morning bottom of pond was 34.9 colder then it has been in about 3 weeks. Pond was also starting to freeze over.
Tonight bottom of pond was 37.5.

Reaction score
:sad: Lost a koi yesterday. Today the sun was shining and we had a high of 49 and the snow was melting like crazy. Water was running everywhere. I ended up getting some run off in the pond so now my pond is a little cloudy. I'm in the process of changing some water in the pond. When it dries up we will be working on the hill to make sure we don't get any more run off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear mtpond was it because of run off or something else

Reaction score
I think it was something else, on the koi's side there was an area that was red. :confused: Run off didn't start until today and I pulled the koi out yesterday. A little mud got in the pond and as soon as we saw what was going on we diverted the water so no more mud went into the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry mt and hope you don't lose anymore and hope you can stop the runoff into the pond.

Ask a Question