Hi from New Zealand

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,
Came across this forum as I am in the process of converting our fishponds to garden beds. We bought our place 9 months ago and inherited the derelict fishponds along with it, complete with fish and waterlillies. It is essentially a multi tiered construction comprising of 4 separate ponds with the lowest pond being much larger than all the others. The top pond was already drained and has a bed of gravel in it. We ummed and ahhed for several months on whether to keep the ponds but eventually decided to convert them to garden space. So began the arduous task of draining the water, sludge and removing all the very overgrown waterlillies. Once empty, I cracked a few holes in the main pond to see if it would then drain, however the dirt underneath is heavy clay and is not seeming to drain. The whole structure is concrete and underneath the concrete is a layer of fine gravel and then a plastic lining. I am hoping I might be able to create a bog garden but really have no clue whether it will work!

Attachments

• 20190622_151408.jpg
    20190622_151408.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 118

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@AmberT
I don't have a bog but there are others here who do so hope they pop up to give you some good advice. Sorry the pond didn't work out for ya :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

My land bog is a area that keeps moist, but off and now goes dry.

Ask a Question