Hi, I need help choosing the proper filter and pump for my 10 x 13 x 4 pond with waterfall.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
That is sort of like asking us if you need false teeth or a knee brace. A description of the pond, what you want out of the pond (other then cheap and easy), and some pictures would help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only way you will get to there is work and time .Ponds will start to maintain themselves after time passes .Get a stock tank and make one and put plants in it to suck up nutrients .I am just going bigger so I can put more plants in my filters .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54042]

Reaction score
I am still digging the hole, I purchased the liner and need to buy a filter and pump. I would like some info on what filter and pump to buy. The pond will be 10 x 13 x 4 foot deep. I have 6 small koi and a few water lilies going in at first start. There will be a waterfall 2 foot above water level. Pond is located is sun until about 4:00 pm.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
As my neighbor Clyde would say 'more better'.

With the falls etc you will have about 4000 gallons which will be about right for the koi.

For the pump you want enough flow for filtration and to make the waterfall look nice. Some people are now combining filters into water falls but I do not know much about that. I would not go smaller then a 2000 gph pump. Internal or external is your choice. With the falls bigger would be better. Maybe use 2 and only use the 2nd when you are enjoying the falls.

You are going to get several different opinions about filters. There are several good options. If you want inexpensive I would look at a bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put in 2 filters and 2 waterfalls and that helps plus plants in the filters .I use lava rock myself but that is what I like and you can use just about anything .I have a 2400 gph and a 2900 gph pump and both are submerged but never allow the pump to sit right on the bottom because if anything goes wrong you do not want to empty the pond .I researched pumps and was looking at less watts and only one i could find was a laguna max flow at 115 watts .

Ask a Question