High Nitrite levels but everything else is great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just tested my pond, first time in quite a while. All levels tested were spot-on except the Nitrite levels. It was as high as my color chart would go. My 3 6" goldfish and 1 7" koi seem to be doing very well but this kinda concerns me. I don't have a bunch of dead plant matter but I am having some algae. I only feed them a small amount every evening. Pond gets full sun and I don't have much shade cover for fish yet. Do have some water iris, one pathetic lily, and a curly plant I'm not sure what it is. These are set just below the surface. Also got some rubbery lily leaves to float on surface trying to make a little shade and protection for my fish. Pond is only 8' x 6' and varying depths up to 3'. Water runs vertically down a 3' tall rock wall.
Should I get some pond salt (don't have a clue about it) or just keep testing for a few days and see if it goes down?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What are you using to for testing? Strips or liquid? How old is the test kit?

If you are showing a safe level of Ammonia and a low Nitrate level but high Nitrite the only possible answer is something has decimated the Nitrite oxidizing bacteria. This is not logical as anything that would have done this would also decimate the Ammonia oxidizers.
Has to be your test lit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read high nitrites are one of the few times, the use of salt is recommended, to prevent brown blood disease

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Could something had happen and it is starting new cycle. ?
Did you recently
Clean everything very well filter pond
Did a heavy water change
Did you do a med treatment ?

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got my kit last summer. It's a liquid kit for ammonia, nitrites, ph, and phosphate. Everything was good except the nitrites.
I had just added a bunch of water but I would think that would've raised my ammonia too.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is exactly the point. If Nitrite level is above optimal then there would be a more than minimal level of Ammonia. Additionally, as I stated in the previous post, the only other cause would be a sudden reduction in the population of NOB (Nitrite Oxidizing Bacteria) and anything that would negatively affect this population would also negatively affect the AOB (Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria) in which case there would likely be no Nitrite. Bottom line is that what you have is a conundrum that is not naturally possible except maybe in laboratory controlled conditions. It has to be the test kit.Even in a new pond that is going through its original 'Cycling', when the Nitrite level peaks, there is still a substantial level of Ammonia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is exactly the point. If Nitrite level is above optimal then there would be a more than minimal level of Ammonia. Additionally, as I stated in the previous post, the only other cause would be a sudden reduction in the population of NOB (Nitrite Oxidizing Bacteria) and anything that would negatively affect this population would also negatively affect the AOB (Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria) in which case there would likely be no Nitrite. Bottom line is that what you have is a conundrum that is not naturally possible except maybe in laboratory controlled conditions. It has to be the test kit.Even in a new pond that is going through its original 'Cycling', when the Nitrite level peaks, there is still a substantial level of Ammonia.

Well, that's disappointing. o_O I've only used the kit a couple of times. Since 3 out of 4 tests are normal, do you think it could be just the nitrite test that is wrong, or the other 3? My fish seem quite happy and healthy and they've been in there for a couple of years.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just to make certain that we have covered all possibilities, have you noticed any strange fish behavior Prior to this water test? What prompted you to test the water at this particular time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just to make certain that we have covered all possibilities, have you noticed any strange fish behavior Prior to this water test? What prompted you to test the water at this particular time?

No strange behavior but then, I don't see them much. Don't have enough cover for them yet so they pretty much hide all the time. And I just tested the water cuz I hadn't done it in a long time. Thought I'd make myself feel good with good water quality for my fishies. Ugh!

Ask a Question