High PH

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you - so the concrete was not allowed anywhere near long enough to cure.
How do I get myself out of this mess?

First, I would notify the people that built this pond for you.
A proper bonding of the sealant to the concrete can initially be determined visually. Look for bubbling, blistering and/or peeling of the coating. Any of these will indicate a poor bond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
"The carbonation process requires the presence of water because CO2 dissolves in water forming H2CO3. If the concrete is too dry (RH <40%) CO2 cannot dissolve and no carbonation occurs. If on the other hand it is too wet (RH >90%) CO2 cannot enter the concrete and the concrete will not carbonate. Optimal conditions for carbonation occur at a RH of 50% (range 40-90%)."http://www.concrete-experts.com/pages/carb.htm Carbonation of Concrete

"At a relative humidity in excess of 90%, when pores are filled with water, carbonic acid is unable to penetrate the saturated pores and diffuse throughout the concrete, again preventing carbonation." http://precast.org/2015/07/understanding-carbonation/ Understanding Carbonation

@Waterbug neither of these sources support your position (underwater would be 100% humidity), yet it is plausible that in a submerged environment the carbonic acid could still diffuse into the concrete pores, It would seem that research into specific aquaculture application would be definitive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My ph is almost always high 8's and my fish don't seem to mind as long as it is stable
Sissy -- if I can piggyback on this post -- are your plants happy? Mine seem puny and I was wondering if high pH was part of it. But it's just right at 8. Not above.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@bagsmom , my pH runs about 8.4 and the flag iris and water lilies are doing fine. However, I can not grow water hyacinths like I use to - they do not grow larger or multiply very much like when the pH was lower.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some plants don't get enough nutrients from the ponds fish and need a little help .PH has nothing to do with plant health or growth .I take my hyacinth out and give them a miracle grow bath

Ask a Question