Hmmm double layer of liner or not

Reaction score
I first lined my pond with a layer of carpet foam.Then my first liner i bought was junk a 45mil pvc liner,I didnt like it so i ordered 45 mil epmd and place it right on top.The carpet padding prevented any large sharp rocks from poakin the liner.Only problem i can see is if your second liner gets a hole in it and drains to the first liner u put down it might lift up and bubble the second liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the bend tarp and liner, tough stuff, deer hooves don't bother it.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I've got a dumb question sort of related to this. Weakness of PVC is degredation caused by UV. If the PVC is completely covered (as by a second layer of PVC or by sand etc), will that prevent the PVC liner from degrading over time (since sunlight isn't hitting it) or are other factors involved in breakdown?

Dave

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You don't want to cover the liner with sand because the sand will trap bacteria and it will go septic. The best liner is EPDM by Firestone.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you can't drive a tractor loaded with pea gravel on a epdm liner you can on ppl from bend tarp and liner. I tested a piece of both, the epdm tore the ppl did not, same tractor same load same ground they were laid on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it was just my test, no notes, no plans to publish, just what I noted. We had a lot of pea gravel to move and the tractor made it move a lot easier, so I was interested if the ppl or the epdm could handle a loaded tractor, in my yard with my tractor with our pea gravel The ppl did the epdm did not. A neighbor gave me a new piece of epdm to try.
I mainly wanted to make sure our ppl would not tear with the weight of the tractor and gravel.

There are independent scientific tests on the different liners, if I can find the data, if you are interested, I can post it.

Everybody has their favorite liner, even old pools.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you should not put liner over liner I just tried that and it does not work well in my soil that is clay .I had damage to my liner jut a couple of weeks ago ,a long slit and thought to myself should I leave the old liner or not .Well it would have been easier to leave the old liner and I tried it but only put about 2 feet of water in to test the stability of it .Well next day it hit 97 degrees and I noticed on the bottom of the pond that looked like air bubbles and touched it and it was hard but moveable and as the day went on more appeared and not so sure I wanted to go on with this .It could have been from the well water being cold from the night before and then the heat the next day not sure .I emptied the pond and wrestled the new liner out and took the rest of the pond apart old liner and all and put the new liner back in .The only part of the old liner I left in was up at the waterfall .One person and this was a lot of work I had to actually get under the liner at first to get it spread out even .It better never happen again .Not sure what caused it but did not want to get it all back together and get the fish back in to find it was still happening .better safe than sorry saves back breaking work for hours .hope this helps you decide

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would think that as moisture collected between the two liners some gases could form from the moisture between the two. Another thing is that it would make things harder if a leak did happen as the water levels would balance and may not show where a leak was if was lower in the first layer than the second.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
My thinking is that a decent liner material should preform well under water. I have no idea why the EPDM tore. The stuff is quite stretchy.

My ponds do not have fancy edging so my concern is how well it stands up to the sun. EPDM is roofing material while the PPL warranty is void if the material is exposed.

Back when I bought my liners EPDM was the way to go. That was a while ago.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
EEEH GADS sissy, sound like a horrible job you had there w/ that liner. Glad you discovered it wouldn't work before you put it all back together. All this info is very valuable to someone just starting out in ponding and good for all of us who wonder.............what if I do this or that or the other? I'm glad I joined this forum..............I've never learned so much about ponding in just one place. Cheers to each and every one of you who contribute in your own way in giving good info on this forum :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I double line my streams, but it is well taped down...............darn deer lol. Extra protection. Also if the stream is sitting dry it will protect the real liner from uv.

But the pond, nope, the liner does well by itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think streams are different all together since it is moving water and not just sitting there on my waterfalls I did double liners and no problems .But same as a stream water is moving in them all the time not just sitting there putting pressure on it .I did the waterfall area that way just in case an animal did happen to get in there .It has an area at the bottom of it so baby fish or frogs can hide from the bigger fish in the rocks there.The waterfall looks a little different than this since I had to rebuild part of that too .

Attachments

• new pond filter working 006.jpg
    new pond filter working 006.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 272

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
double sided tape and single sided tape is my friend! have the liners well attached to each other. I have see the deer walking it more than once, so I am glad I took that extra little step of protection.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would guess so ,I was out mowing my lawn and amazed at how deep some of the deer tracks are in the ground after last nights storm

Ask a Question