Hola from Mexico!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014.

1. LaSelva

LaSelva

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this forum today and signed up. I live in the jungle in Tulum, Mexico. A while back I put a small washtub pond in one of my gardens with some guppies and a couple of goldfish. I enjoyed it so much I wanted something bigger. A few weeks ago I dug a hole and installed a much larger pond made from the bottom half of a tinaco (a large, vinyl water tank the we use here to store water). The new pond is 2 meters across and about a meter deep. I've created a layered substrate of soil, gravel and sand with a rock island in the middle. I have a couple of types of water hyacinth, papyrus, irises, elodea, sword plants, and moneywort growing in there and several types of tropical fish and a few goldfish. And a few little turtles. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I've got lots of reading to do to learn from the folks on this forum and may have some questions of my own to ask later.

LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. LaSelva

sissy sissy

welcome and sounds like you have a nice pond but don't tease us we like to snoop

sissy, Apr 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. LaSelva

LaSelva

Sissy, here are a few photos to familiarize the forum with my pond. It's new so it's still pretty barren but in this jungle climate and the tropical sun the plants are really taking off. And the fish are making more babies than I expected so soon. I'm going to have more guppies and platys than I know what to do with if the other fish don't start eating more of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014
    callingcolleen1 and sissy like this.
  4. LaSelva

sissy sissy

really nice pond for your hot temps and really clear water .Is that an old water retention tank next to it .Love your wooden and stone bench .Nice idea there

sissy, Apr 7, 2014
  5. LaSelva

Dave 54

Hola oh dear sound like we have yet another terminal case here j.w. have you got any gifs to cover this ?
    Dont worry I jest a little but that how we all start out a puddle first then a larger pond then another (y)

Dave

Dave 54, Apr 7, 2014
  6. LaSelva

LaSelva

That is part of my humedal to the right of the pond. I live completely off grid out in the jungle. I have solar power for all of my electrical needs, rainwater collection in a 6000 gallon stone cistern for all of my water, and a planted wetland (humedal) and composting system for all of my sewage and gray water treatment. All of my wastewater flows through that serpentine trough you see in the photo. I grow 10 foot tall elephant ear plants, all kinds of beautiful heliconia and bananas in there. It produces no effluent to make it's way into the groundwater. It's all used by the plants. And the solid waste is composted into nutrient rich, black dirt to use in my gardens. Here are some better photos of the humedal that you see next to the pond:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014
  7. LaSelva

LaSelva

I'm already scoping out a sunny spot behind my house for an even larger pond. It's an addiction!

LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  8. LaSelva

sissy sissy

WOW is all I can say .my elephant ears last year got 6 ft tall and hoping they did not freeze with the polar vortex .I love elephant ears and canna's

Attached Files:

sissy, Apr 7, 2014
  9. LaSelva

LaSelva

I have canna lilies on my bedroom deck Sissy. And lots of calla lilies in the gardens in the shady parts of my yard. In addition to the giant elephant ears in the humedal I have so many other varities of colorful caladiums growing all around my yard. Plants grow like crazy here with our year round warm temperatures and the humedal plants just go nuts with all of the nutrients they get from the wastewater.

LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014
    j.w, callingcolleen1 and sissy like this.
  10. LaSelva

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Really cool pond! Welcome to the forums!!

JBtheExplorer, Apr 7, 2014
  11. LaSelva

RobAmy

Nice pond and welcome

RobAmy, Apr 7, 2014
  12. LaSelva

taherrmann4 Tmann

Nice pond and welcome to the forum.

taherrmann4, Apr 8, 2014
  13. LaSelva

Priscilla

Welcome! I love your pond! I also have red platys in my pond, mixed with koi and goldfish.

You're basically living my dream, off the grid in a rain forest! Awesome!!!!

Priscilla, Apr 8, 2014
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  14. LaSelva

haver79

Neat pond and the water is crystal clear! Welcome

haver79, Apr 8, 2014
  15. LaSelva

Chinjuspond

I officially need to move. My parrot would love your climate!!!
    I can't even grow elephant ear here. Unless it's indoors.
    Beautiful

Chinjuspond, Apr 8, 2014
  16. LaSelva

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Welcome, and WOW!

Mmathis, Apr 8, 2014
  17. LaSelva

Catfishnut

Welcome, LaSelva!

A very fine looking pond! As well as all the surroundings.

I have a couple of questions for you.

The railings around your deck / porch area... Did you fabricated them yourself? If so, what kind of wood is that or is it a composite material made to look like wood? I really like the Y shaped segments that make up the deck balusters, it looks very interesting and naturally rustic.

Second, how do you get your internet access there in the jungle? Are you close enough to a village/town/city to have some sort of cable connection, cellular connection or are you using a satellite internet service?

Gordy

Catfishnut, Apr 8, 2014
  18. LaSelva

LaSelva

Thanks everyone for your nice welcome and comments. Gordy, the deck railings and all of the wood and stone work for my house was crafted here on site by the Mayan palaperos and albaniles. My builder is a permacuturist so we used all of the trees we removed in clearing the lot on my home construction. Those railings are a jungle hardwood called tzalam. We used the massive Y shaped trunk as the center front support under my living room. Here are some photos of the house and gardens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the little washtub pond that got me started:

[​IMG]

The washtub pond is on the left and the new larger pond is on the right of that center planted bed:

[​IMG]

Here you can see the big Y shaped tzalam trunk in the center front of my house with the pond out in front. I look down into the pond from my living room:

[​IMG]

My nearest neighbors have a 30 meter internet tower on the roof of their house. They put in a repeater and bounce their signal over to a small receiver I have on my roof. I get a strong signal and good speeds without having to have a huge, ugly tower in my yard.

LaSelva, Apr 8, 2014
    DrCase, Mmathis, Catfishnut and 2 others like this.
  19. LaSelva

sissy sissy

I love your thatched roof .Lucky for you that your neighbor shares his internet .Here we are just getting into the fiber optic stuff but back in NJ 11 years ago they already had it .I have mostly cow and horse farms here .Nice until they get loose and you find them out in your lawn ripping up all your grass and eating your shrubs .Then you have deer and fox and now there are watching for several bear that came this way looking for food .They relocate them back to the mountains .The beauty of VA and then they cut the trees for the wood

Attached Files:

sissy, Apr 8, 2014
  20. LaSelva

Becky Administrator

Great to have you here, welcome! (y)

Becky, Apr 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question