Hola from Mexico!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LaSelva, Apr 7, 2014.

1. LaSelva

sissy sissy

I forgot to like sorry senior moment LaSelva .I use that alot ;):)Actually I love it but there is not a love it :love:so here .

sissy, Apr 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. LaSelva

LaSelva

Thanks Haver79. We have great water here in this part of Mexico. The entire area along the Caribbean coast here sits atop a massive, underground spring system. So many beautiful, cold water springs are all over the place. Locally they are called cenotes. The water that comes from the ground is absolutely crystal clear and about 72 degrees. It's a bit hard, about 6.8ph so it's good for ponds and aquariums. The water I use inside my house all comes from rain so it's very soft. WIth the logs and plants in the pond I'm starting to see some more color in the water as the tannins start to build up. I think it will look more natural when the water is a bit darker.

LaSelva, Apr 8, 2014
    haver79 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. LaSelva

LaSelva

Beautiful countryside in those photos Sissy. I have foxes, deer, turkeys, toucans, parrots, coati mundi, boa constrictors and monkeys here on my property. I love seeing all the wildlife every day. Especially the monkeys. And now my fish and turtles! It's a shame about the timbers being felled. Here where I live we have a 95% preservation rule. I have 5 acres of jungle, but I am only allowed to touch 5% of. There are 1200 acres surrounding me that have the same restrictions so this place will remain mostly wild.

LaSelva, Apr 8, 2014
  4. LaSelva

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

WOW Love your little pond and jungle LaSelva! I think I will have to travel down there some winter, the long cold winters up here in Canada can get to you, plus I need to tan bad!

callingcolleen1, Apr 8, 2014
  5. LaSelva

sissy sissy

well the snakes you can keep ,that is one thing i do not like :)

sissy, Apr 8, 2014
  6. LaSelva

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    Welcome and thank you for showing us your stunningly lovely home and property.

Big Lou, Apr 8, 2014
  7. LaSelva

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Apr 8, 2014
  8. LaSelva

Catfishnut

Very awesome LaSelva, It looks great!

Gordy

Catfishnut, Apr 8, 2014
  9. LaSelva

LaSelva

LaSelva, Apr 8, 2014
  10. LaSelva

LaSelva

You're very welcome Big Lou. I just built this place last year and have only been in it for 8 months now. I've done all of the stone walls for the garden beds and ponds myself since I moved in and I'm still adding many more landscaping features. And I've got such a huge variety of tropical plants and flowers! It's almost become a nursery around here with all of the plants I'm propagating. It seems anything I cut off and stick in the dirt just takes off. Everything just loves this warm, damp climate. I haven't made many garden beds around back of the house yet and I have a 70 meter long driveway that I eventually want to border with gardens. I retired early to come do this and I'm so glad I did! Waking up here surrounded by nature every morning is just magical.

LaSelva, Apr 8, 2014
  11. LaSelva

j.w I Love my Goldies

Drop in on him some time. I know he would love to chat and he's a really nice person. I've known him for years and he's the new Fire Chief of Paamul so pretty easy to find. He does lots of scuba diving there also. Just ask for Phillip and tell him jw sent you :D

j.w, Apr 8, 2014
  12. LaSelva

taherrmann4 Tmann

sissy you keep your elephant ears in the ground year round? Do you mulch over them to help insulate?

taherrmann4, Apr 9, 2014
  13. LaSelva

taherrmann4 Tmann

Great piece of land you have there. Do all the rocks come from your property or do you have to have the hauled in?

taherrmann4, Apr 9, 2014
  14. LaSelva

sissy sissy

yep I pick up extra mulch to pile around them to insulate the ground .I am just hoping it was enough after this polar vortex happened this winter .I also lay old rug pieces over the top of the crowns .The bulbs cannot be planted very deep in the ground if you plant them to deep they do not grow as good as the bulb needs some oxygen .That is why I lay pieces of carpet over the top and then put mulch over it in the winter .

sissy, Apr 9, 2014
  15. LaSelva

Mmathis TurtleMommy

That's just all too awesome! Your house reminds me of the Swiss Family Robinson attraction at Disney World! Well, and your gardens do, too! I think I'm starting to feel "Disney deprived......"

Mmathis, Apr 9, 2014
  16. LaSelva

LaSelva

The rocks are free for the taking from the sides of the road around here. I've hauled in over 30 tons of rocks in the back of my tiny little Ford Ecosport mini-SUV. I'm going to need new shocks soon. We have very little soil here but the entire area is limestone rock. I use the rock to make raised planting beds that I fill with logs, sticks, leaves, kitchen compost, cardboard boxes, really any cellulose material that will decompose into soil, then I cover the top foot or so with a layer of rich, black topsoil that I purchase from local nurseries before planting. It really is gorgeous stone with lots of holes and interesting surface features. Lots of caves here too. This cave is next to my ponds. It's about 6 feet across and 20 feet deep. There is a narrow passageway that branches off at the bottom of it but I'm not brave (or crazy!) enough to go exploring down there:

[​IMG]

LaSelva, Apr 9, 2014
    DrCase, addy1, j.w and 2 others like this.
  17. LaSelva

LaSelva

Hah! You're not the first to make the Swiss Family Robinson comparison Mmathis. This place really is like a big tree house. But it's a lot nicer than any treehouse I ever had as a kid! Here are a few pics of the interior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LaSelva, Apr 9, 2014
    j.w and sissy like this.
  18. LaSelva

sissy sissy

that hole may be one scarey place to get lost in .

sissy, Apr 9, 2014
  19. LaSelva

j.w I Love my Goldies

What a great place to live forever! It's a true paradise :)

j.w, Apr 10, 2014
  20. LaSelva

LaSelva

Yep, I went down in it with a rope securing me to a tree on the surface to clean out some trash after construction was complete and it's got some beautiful stalactites down at the bottom, but where it goes off sideways is very low and pitch black dark. Crawling on my belly into a black abyss in the jungle is not on my bucket list.

LaSelva, Apr 10, 2014
    sissy and j.w like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question