Hola from Mexico!

Reaction score
Welcome, LaSelva!

A very fine looking pond! As well as all the surroundings.

I have a couple of questions for you.

The railings around your deck / porch area... Did you fabricated them yourself? If so, what kind of wood is that or is it a composite material made to look like wood? I really like the Y shaped segments that make up the deck balusters, it looks very interesting and naturally rustic.

Second, how do you get your internet access there in the jungle? Are you close enough to a village/town/city to have some sort of cable connection, cellular connection or are you using a satellite internet service?

Gordy

Reaction score
Welcome, LaSelva!

A very fine looking pond! As well as all the surroundings.

I have a couple of questions for you.

The railings around your deck / porch area... Did you fabricated them yourself? If so, what kind of wood is that or is it a composite material made to look like wood? I really like the Y shaped segments that make up the deck balusters, it looks very interesting and naturally rustic.

Second, how do you get your internet access there in the jungle? Are you close enough to a village/town/city to have some sort of cable connection, cellular connection or are you using a satellite internet service?

Gordy

Thanks everyone for your nice welcome and comments. Gordy, the deck railings and all of the wood and stone work for my house was crafted here on site by the Mayan palaperos and albaniles. My builder is a permacuturist so we used all of the trees we removed in clearing the lot on my home construction. Those railings are a jungle hardwood called tzalam. We used the massive Y shaped trunk as the center front support under my living room. Here are some photos of the house and gardens.

Here is the little washtub pond that got me started:

The washtub pond is on the left and the new larger pond is on the right of that center planted bed:

Here you can see the big Y shaped tzalam trunk in the center front of my house with the pond out in front. I look down into the pond from my living room:

My nearest neighbors have a 30 meter internet tower on the roof of their house. They put in a repeater and bounce their signal over to a small receiver I have on my roof. I get a strong signal and good speeds without having to have a huge, ugly tower in my yard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love your thatched roof .Lucky for you that your neighbor shares his internet .Here we are just getting into the fiber optic stuff but back in NJ 11 years ago they already had it .I have mostly cow and horse farms here .Nice until they get loose and you find them out in your lawn ripping up all your grass and eating your shrubs .Then you have deer and fox and now there are watching for several bear that came this way looking for food .They relocate them back to the mountains .The beauty of VA and then they cut the trees for the wood

Attachments

• hillsville2011 030.JPG
    hillsville2011 030.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 243
  • hillsville2011 032.JPG
    hillsville2011 032.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 262
  • hillsville2011 033.JPG
    hillsville2011 033.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 262
  • march 23rd 2014 001.JPG
    march 23rd 2014 001.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 260
  • march 23rd 2014 005.JPG
    march 23rd 2014 005.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 248
  • march 23rd 2014 006.JPG
    march 23rd 2014 006.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 253

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I forgot to like sorry senior moment LaSelva .I use that alot ;):)Actually I love it but there is not a love it :love:so here .

Reaction score
Neat pond and the water is crystal clear! Welcome

Thanks Haver79. We have great water here in this part of Mexico. The entire area along the Caribbean coast here sits atop a massive, underground spring system. So many beautiful, cold water springs are all over the place. Locally they are called cenotes. The water that comes from the ground is absolutely crystal clear and about 72 degrees. It's a bit hard, about 6.8ph so it's good for ponds and aquariums. The water I use inside my house all comes from rain so it's very soft. WIth the logs and plants in the pond I'm starting to see some more color in the water as the tannins start to build up. I think it will look more natural when the water is a bit darker.

Reaction score
I forgot to like sorry senior moment LaSelva .I use that alot ;):)Actually I love it but there is not a love it :love:so here .

Beautiful countryside in those photos Sissy. I have foxes, deer, turkeys, toucans, parrots, coati mundi, boa constrictors and monkeys here on my property. I love seeing all the wildlife every day. Especially the monkeys. And now my fish and turtles! It's a shame about the timbers being felled. Here where I live we have a 95% preservation rule. I have 5 acres of jungle, but I am only allowed to touch 5% of. There are 1200 acres surrounding me that have the same restrictions so this place will remain mostly wild.

Reaction score
Welcome and thank you for showing us your stunningly lovely home and property.

You're very welcome Big Lou. I just built this place last year and have only been in it for 8 months now. I've done all of the stone walls for the garden beds and ponds myself since I moved in and I'm still adding many more landscaping features. And I've got such a huge variety of tropical plants and flowers! It's almost become a nursery around here with all of the plants I'm propagating. It seems anything I cut off and stick in the dirt just takes off. Everything just loves this warm, damp climate. I haven't made many garden beds around back of the house yet and I have a 70 meter long driveway that I eventually want to border with gardens. I retired early to come do this and I'm so glad I did! Waking up here surrounded by nature every morning is just magical.

Ask a Question