Hole in EPDM Liner

Reaction score
Morning,
I have patched several times before and those patches are still holding. I have come to the conclusion to feed my wife only once or twice a week and with these savings i will buy a new liner.
I am going to leave the old liner in place, just remove all rocks, then place chicken fence on top of it before installing the new liner.
I am now sure it is chipmnks who are chewing through the liner from underneath. They have done this before, in the liner under the creek, and there the chicken fence works great!! (no chickens in the creek)
Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, That would work to help keep chickens out. But are you having a chicken problem or a chipmunk problem? laying one liner in another and putting wire between is compounding the problem of the leaking liner. If there is a leak and you put chicken wire down now your going to be fighting rust between the liners and quite often a rotten smell around the pond as the two liners will hold some water between them and it will go stagnant and start growing bad bacteria and such.
I would pull the old liner and put some rodent spray in and around the inner part or the pond before installing the new liner. also moth balls will help keep chipmunks out from behind the liner as well. Personally I would remove the chipmunks completely with live traps and relocate. But many of us think they are cute and adorable. If you want them around try feeding them, SOMEWHERE FAR AWAY FROM THE POND! Like the front yard or the neighbors yard or better yet the neighbor that always complains about everything. YEA, that's the yard you want to feed them in. LOL seriously Rats, mice, chipmunks, squirrels all are rodents and all will cause severe damage to liners and the closer they get to fall and winter the worse they get because they are looking for things to make nests in and places to keep warm. ever wrapped up in a piece of liner, gets pretty warm. nice thing to chew up for a warm winter night with the wifey chipmunk and make more little chipmunks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol the squirrels pulled a lot of our insulation out from under our sun room, made some nice little nests!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I thought it didn't look quite right! No snow at the moment, but give it a couple of weeks.
John

Ask a Question