hornwort and anachris

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz when I bought the anacharis several years ago I purchased these lead weights that wrap around a few bunches and then I just drop them in the pond and they sink nicely to the bottom. Some of my Hornwart has grown roots in the bottom by my lilies. In late spring I go kayaking on this lake and fish a bunch of hornwart out to put in my pond. I use the old lead weights that get sucked out of the bottom of the pond by my vac in the fall and spring and reuse them. I have noticed that my hornwart dies off a bit when the lilies start taking over the pond, I think this is due to lack of light.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Addy,
Thanks! I think I will take you up on that, but will have to remember myself!

JW
Thanks for the info, now I know mine would eat it too then.

Tmann,
Was wondering if fishing weights and fishing line somehow could do it without cutting it. Anytime I used those flat weights to put it in my aquarium, the bunches would always come loose and float everywhere. Will have to try it again.

Thanks,
Nathan

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz in another thread we were discussing this same issue with JW and I had the idea to try and use a stainless washer. If you get a big enough washer where the inside diameter is large enough to slide a few bunches of the anacharis or hornwart and slide it up halfway on the plant you may not need to tie it with anything. If you alternate the way you put in the hornwart or anachris into the washer you will have growth from both ends if that makes sense. But if you do have to tie it either use a thick enough fishing line so it does not cut into the plant when you tie it on to the washer. Could probably use a fishing weight we were just trying to come up with other ideas instead of having those lead weights in the bottom of your pond. I don't think they would hurt anything.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Lead is toxic to fish if enough of it dissolves into the water. You could plant anacharis in a pot with gravel to hold it down

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Tmann,
Thanks, the washer in the middle (and I see what you mean by alternating the bunches as you put them in the washer) is a good idea. Should give it enough weight to hold it below the surface.

Minnowman,
have you tried this? if so how far down in the gravel did you bury the anacharis so it didn't float out of the pot?

Reaction score
I have a small pond that have 11 koi approx 4-7" in long and my anacharis plant (potted) has tripled in size since the day I put it in and I have noticed that there are lil pieces floating around my pond but soon disappear, due to the koi eating it all up... But still I like it regardless of a lil mess being made.. And my lilies are doing good too, they haven't messed with them to much either expect for I think one of them is dying :(... So I removed it and put it into other tank of water to see if it grows better else where due to not getting enough light...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tmann,
Thanks, the washer in the middle (and I see what you mean by alternating the bunches as you put them in the washer) is a good idea. Should give it enough weight to hold it below the surface.

Minnowman,
have you tried this? if so how far down in the gravel did you bury the anacharis so it didn't float out of the pot?

I had mine pushed down in an inch or so in clay, it grew great, but the goldies inhaled it, finally killing it off.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Small rubber bands work well to bunch plants together, but lack the weight to hold them down, so you'll need to add something heavy. And remember that plants tied together will rot at that point and float free anyway! John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In the pond out in the wild where we have collected some they are just all growing upright in the pond muck. Didn't see much if any floating freely so I'm assuming it prefers nice rich organic soil. I have seen it in a pond at a nursery just floating in a big giant mass tho multiplying like crazy. They throw it away when they get too much. I have tried to be there when they do that but to no avail and they won't call me when they are going to do it. I gave them my number but no calls. The stuff they have is really big thick stuff. The stuff I get in the wild is the thinner sparser looking stuff. I'd rather have the thick but take what I can get.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
JW if they never call you, next time just show up and ask them if you can have some. Or just take a bucket and start scooping without asking, sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
JW if they never call you, next time just show up and ask them if you can have some. Or just take a bucket and start scooping without asking, sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Yeah, and we'll send you Caramilk bars in the klink!!!!! John :LOL:

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Addy I'll keep that in mind next spring, plenty of clay around here.

John,
I was wondering about that, it explains why when I had some in an aquarium it would stay for awhile but then come loose and float away.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I put them in a 5" pot one at a time with a handful of pea gravel on each one. If the stem is kinked it will rot at that point. They do make roots, but they get most of their nutrients from the water. Mine grew well for a while, but the lilies eventually shaded them out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess it depends on how many you plan on putting in your pond as to the best method. I used to put 60 bunches of them in my pond every spring before my lilies finally got big enough and the Koi also kept eating them. I am too lazy to plant 60 of those bunches into pots so that is why I bought the lead bands they sell initially. You can just throw them in the pond wherever and not have to worry about the fish tipping them over and knocking the clay or gravel out. IMO.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I'll just keep grabbing it outta the wild ponds and be satisfied w/ the skinnier stuff for now. I can just replenish it now and then if I need to.
Still whenever I'm down that way to the nursery I will keep asking for some. I did ask once but they said I'd have to be there when they were cleaning and bring my own containers. I just live too far away to just keep checking. Guess I could call them now and then and ask if they were gonna clean out the pond soon. They might get tired of that real soon tho.

Ask a Question