How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Pocono. I agree that different areas have different infection rates and number of cases and deaths so it’s hard to prescribe a one size fits all remedy. I think that’s great you are wearing a face mask when you go to the store. Even though it sounds like there is a lot of disagreement here there is also a lot of middle ground which is good, I went to a Home Depot over the weekend and there was a woman drinking a drink from a cup and not wearing a mask. She gave a little “cough” as she went by the aisle and I heard her cough again from fairly close by. I got pretty upset and my wife said I was crazy and asked me why I didn’t confront her if I wanted her to wear a mask. I don’t think I was “crazy”. We are trying to be careful and one person’s irresponsibility can get a lot of other people sick.
I'm sorry if you are that blind AS to what is going on STAY HOME. Do your home work the numbers of deaths under 65 is ridiculously low to be shutting down an entire country.... Give those same souls who did pass a good case of the flue and we probably would have lost most Regardless Face coverings on a person with a beard is a joke..it does nothing .Covid is no joke. The fact that this country is shut down is a JOKE Lets take away ALL PAYCHECKS TO ELECTED OFFICIALS AND WATCH HOW FAST WE ALL GO BACK TO WORK!!!!! Most over 65 have a little saving and if they don't it's a hell of a lot cheaper to help them then it is the entire country. The same idiots who have there states in turmoil Believe the tooth fairy will put money under there pillow to keep funding there bizzare ideas,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry if you are that blind AS to what is going on STAY HOME. Do your home work the numbers of deaths under 65 is ridiculously low to be shutting down an entire country.... Give those same souls who did pass a good case of the flue and we probably would have lost most Regardless Face coverings on a person with a beard is a regard is a joke..it does nothing .Covid is no joke. The fact that this country is shut down is a JOKE Lets take away ALL PAYCHECKS TO ELECTED OFFICIALS AND WATCH HOW FAST WE ALL GO BACK TO WORK!!!!! Most over 65 have a little saving and if they don't it's a hell of a lot cheaper to help them then it is the entire country. The same idiots who have there states in turmoil Believe the tooth fairy will put money under there pillow to keep funding there bizzare ideas,
Hi Gbbudd. You have the right to your opinions. I started this thread with the question how are you dealing with coronavirus. I asked that it not get political. If you would like to discuss the public policies and stances the government is taking in regards to this pandemic I suggest you start a new thread with a heading that is more aligned to the subject matter you are wishing to discuss. I feel this thread should be solely concerned about people and how they are dealing with the current situation of the pandemic and not government policies. Thank you for your understanding and I hope you and your family stay safe and are able to do what you want to do as quickly as possbile.
I myself watched this weekend season 2 of My Brilliant Friend. It’s a wonderful story of two girls growing up in Naples Italy in the 1960s. It’s definitely worth watching. It’s interesting that the author of the books it’s based on is anonymous and no one knows who she or he is.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just got another call last night from a friend and her hubby died from covid 19 and she could not be with him but she also knew it for her protection ,he was 47 and no health problems and then he got what he thought was a cold or allergies and it got worse within 5 days and he could not breath and then he passed away .How can I keep consoling friends whose family members died .They thought this was not real and could not effect them .My friend in NJ lost her twin sons to this ,both were married and children of their own but still her baby sons .I was there when she was pregnant with them and now cannot believe they are gone .They would have been 27 this summer .I have decided to proect myself even more and be there for friends in theire time of lose even if I cannot be there they know they can call .I have my hobbies to keep me busy and it helps to be outside in my yard for fresh air and sunshine ,well now clean fresh rain washed air

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lets get back to how everybody is dealing with the covid and drop the politics. I would hate to see this thread shut.
Just post what and or how you are still living life, dealing with the threat. Re-joining society if you decide you can.

We are staying at home as much as possible. We go to our new old boat now and then, staying away from people there also. Shop as little as possible, there is nothing we need bad enough to make us go to a store, except food, only two trips since February. I am a real amazon shopper now, Home depot, lowes any store that will ship to our house. Then the boxes sit outside for 4 days before we open with gloves.

Like someone said above we are in the real dangerous age, we need to self protect.

Worked my entire life saving pennies (started when I was 28) to be able to enjoy retirement, we made it. Not ready to say goodbye and leave the money to my yorkie, so we are doing all we can to stay safe. We will watch and wait, see what happens as people gather together again.

We are lucky we have almost 4 acres to play with, a house to live in, bees to keep stinging us, yorkie to love, enough funds we can pay the bills.

The world needs to reopen and it will. Just be safe as safe as you think you need to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Sissy -- so very sorry! I am praying for the day when they are able to determine what it is that makes one person have a very minor case and another person - no matter what their age - a very severe case. One day, I think they will. Like most everyone, I am SO GRATEFUL for my large yard with big shady trees and visiting wildlife. We've had two deer come by daily. I think the word got out that I'm still not done with the second pond, so they are coming by to look at the very messy backyard and see for themselves. I'm staying busy in the yard with all the other seasonal chores. I'm the grocery shopper, so I do that with a mask. Husband is the Home Depot guy, also wearing his mask. We have several elderly people in our family. On the slim chance that we are able gather to celebrate graduation this summer, we would like to try to limit our exposure to the masses - to at least TRY to reduce the chances that we would give something to our more fragile family members. We had been hoping to get together with friends down the street soon -- outside and distanced. But they have decided to completely rip off the bandaid and are doing pretty much everything again and attended a big family party. Now I'm not sure how wise it is. I worry about my teens a bit. They are very isolated and doing nothing but schoolwork online. The high school senior has signed up for summer online college. More staring at a screen. I really wish we could get away somewhere for a long weekend and hike to a waterfall or something. I need to research. I find myself a little jealous of friends who have family members who live or own private property at the beach or mountains! They are able to go for safe getaways in beautiful places. But at least we have our pond and our woods and the deer (even though they are silently judging me for being so slow with my work. LOL)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@sissy , I'm so sorry for your friend's loss of her husband and your NJ friend who lost her twin sons....unspeakable heart break.

I'm getting a hair cut later today. I'm to arrive with my hair pre shampooed and damp ad forgo any blow drying. I'm to wear a mask and remain in my car until I"m called in. I wanted to get my hair done before the mohs procedure on my scalp next week. Tomorrow I have an early am covid test then strictly QT till surgery. I just want to get it done, it's been at the back of my mind worrying me.

We're finishing up an interior project which is a good rainy week activity :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sorry for your friends @sissy - there's no question this is a very real virus that is very hard on some people. Who knows why? I was just talking to my husband the other night about the number of related people who we hear react badly to the virus - like your friend and her twin sons which is just too much for any mother to have to bear. I wonder if there's a genetic component to how your body handles getting COVID. Maybe someday, when the dust settles, that will all become clear.

Is it political to say that I'm afraid I may lose my job? Is it political to say I fear that will happen because the governor of my state is a tyrant who is acting in his own self interest and that of his party? Is it political for @CometKeith to say he hopes he doesn't lose his investments? I don't know how you can discuss this issue without discussing the politics behind these decisions that are being made, when ALL the decisions are being made by politicians. We have health people making policy decisions and politicians making health decisions. That’s upside down.

There should be middle ground. There should be those who say "I'll stay home because I can't risk getting this" and those who say "I need to work, I'm ready to go back". But the narratives have become those who want to stay isolated are cry babies and those who want to go to work just want to see more people dead. And they take it a step further and claim "oh you just want to get a hair cut or go out to eat" - not go to work to support your family.

It doesn't have to be either/or. I don't want to see anyone dead - but I also don't want to lose my home that I've worked to pay for for 30 years, my income, my health insurance, my savings, a future for my own kids and grandkids... we aren't going to have a country left if this continues.

And @CometKeith i know you’re suggesting that my niece wasn’t reporting tips, which is common but not true in her case. She worked for a major chain and they are very clear on their reporting rules. People don’t seem to understand that the support systems aren’t working like they normally do. My co-worker has parents who own and drive a cab for a living for 30 years - she drives days, him nights. They raised their family in Chicago driving a cab. They both applied for unemployment and were told their benefit was zero. Nothing. The money just isn’t there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There is more than one answer to many questions w/this situation it seems. Everyone has their own ideas and plans on how to deal w/this horrid virus that was thrown at them. If we can all just deal w/it w/o anger or criticism towards each other personally here and just state what idea's we have heard and discuss the matter peacefully it would be much easier on all of us but it also seems that when the gov't gets involved and starts telling us what we can and cannot do and it goes against our constitutional rights we get very concerned and we have reason to be as in our historical past in this world things have not been kind to a lot of people who were afraid to stand up for their rights. Everyone wants to live and stay safe but not all agree on how to do this. I guess that we will just have to be able to allow people to live their own way of life as long as it is following our written laws and those of us who do not agree will have to follow our own beliefs and safety precautions away from those who choose a different way.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, as far as how we are dealing with this, hubbys schedule changes weekly. Medical dispatch for MedStar Health. Lately he has had 7 days off in a row so great time do get stuff done! He feels its vacation time- sit back and relax! NOT. Just finished largest project, replacing 100 feet of fence around butterfly garden. Took down greenhouse that was on the deck and now just need to plant over 900 seedlings so we can actually use the deck.
We do go out to the stores to get what groceries we need but not anywhere near as much as we used to. Love Amazon and other online shopping. Realized I had no summer food for my koi, quick lonon to Webbs, food was here next afternoon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi food is expensive! I got a discounted sample a few years ago, when it was finished, they wouldn't return to eating the old stuff - LOL. I only order once a year, from a guy in CA....hey, they're worth it :)

We just had electrician here to l look at something and asked him to give us an estimate to have the pond on it's own circuit . When we run the big dog blower to back wash the sand & gravel filter, it blows the circuit with three pond pumps running! Electrician took a look at the blower and said he can see why...it draws 18 amps!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow 18 amps .You can always add a bigger breaker if your load is not to big coming into your house .I was in the basement doing some projects and I am glad that hubby I are comfortable in outr retirement because I see so many seniors here that are not .Hey addy how soon you getting missy's friend we want you to brighten our day with a puppy play video of them
102_0082.JPG
102_0093.JPG
102_0087.JPG
102_0089.JPG
104_0166.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
wow 18 amps .You can always add a bigger breaker if your load is not to big coming into your house .I was in the basement doing some projects and I am glad that hubby I are comfortable in outr retirement because I see so many seniors here that are not .Hey addy how soon you getting missy's friend we want you to brighten our day with a puppy play video of them View attachment 128945View attachment 128944View attachment 128946View attachment 128947View attachment 128948
Nice pets!
There are a bunch of feral cats in our area. I don't want to get too much into how this has occurred. Bad people basically. Anyhow we had 5 cats and our daughter moved back in with 3, so total is 8!
Months ago, my wife had a tiny stray kitten come to her every time she went out back, so she rescued him. That makes 9!
Now, this Spring, a mommy had a litter on our front porch. One cute little guy had a swollen closed up eye. He was just starting to eat solid food. We felt bad and took him to the vet. I would post a picture of him, but his eye looks so bad, I wouldn't want to subject you all to that terrible sight.
He got a shot and some eye drops for us to take home and is doing much better. So we kept him too because we have to keep giving him the eye drops. That makes 10! We didn't want him to be lonely without his sibling, so we have that one too. That makes 11!
11 in the house! Plus two dogs! And none of our animals go outside.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the cats were my neighbors that they neglected just like the 3 dogs they owned .We got the 2 girls fixed .The boys went to a farm nearby that wanted male cats for mice in the barn ,but they also feed them some food .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey addy how soon you getting missy's friend we want you to brighten our day with a puppy play video of them
I think around the 8th of June. He will be around 12 weeks old. We face time with the pup quite often! He is so darn cute. we are puppy proofing the house, sort of like baby proofing.
96748154_1337446643114667_6801815062429302784_o.jpg
97044638_1337446753114656_3620593207882022912_o.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg

Ask a Question