How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not typo sad to say and just the year before by her hubby and she left a 5 year old daughter behind .I was always told to not let it get me down and have never left it do so .mom and dad March 7th and my Margie was March 25th .They are gone but still in my heart and soul I am 66 now so it has gotten easier

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always saw you as a strong woman, sissy. With your craftsman ship I could see little stopped you. I'm so sorry to hear there were other circumstance that made you strong as well.. So sorry for your loss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was 30 years old and pregnant with my second son and they were murdered .Same here in VA where my hubbies mom and dad moved to ,but much warmer than PA .My dads family was from South williamsport and my moms family mostly from Berwick and Benton .But were mostly born in Mifflenville.My mom and dad left PA when I was almost 4 and moved back to PA when they sold the farm in NJ and retired
Sissy. That is so terrible. I’m glad you are okay. Someone I play tennis with both her parents were killed in a car crash when she was 10 years old. I always wonder if the people that like to complain about everything really understood how bad some other people have had it and you would never know..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At work I remember people avoided me and I thought to myself that they had no clue what to say and I just left it go .The one per son beside me was my hubby and my older son and that made it easier .I took care of hubbies mom and dad until they left because cancer took them and I always called them mom and dad and they treated me just like a daughter and I love and miss them all .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At work I remember people avoided me and I thought to myself that they had no clue what to say and I just left it go
Same thing when my hubby died, when I went back to work no mention of him or his death, people are just not sure how to handle it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mostly for myself any ways i don't want to remind you of that pain, in the remote chance your having a moments peace not thinking about it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i don't want to remind you of that pain, in the remote chance your having a moments peace not thinking about it.
If that is towards me, I am at peace with what happened he was on disability, started about 5 years after we married. Bad back. On heavy meds, lots of pain it was in some ways a release for him. Very peaceful death per the ME, his heart slowed down breathing slowed down and gone. All due to the methadone they had him on for the pain.
Thanks for the consideration @GBBUDD . He passed on my birthday in 07.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won't make this a political issue, but our politicians certainly will. If you wonder how, just look at the states that are opening vs the states that are not. Our governor is, right now, today, working to get his executive orders passed into public health code law so they can start to fine, strip of their licenses, and jail business owners who defy his orders. At the same time, his family was traveling to Florida and then back to Illinois so they could go to one of their two homes in Wisconsin... while we are forced to stay home. No choice for the little people. Oh and the part that's not even surprising - his family's company makes the Covid tests that the government is buying by the millions. And they own the company that processes the tests. So "test test test" means "money money money" for them.

And the final straw - he wants to be granted the authority to shut our state down for an additional 150 days. We are doomed.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 Unfortunately, that isn’t surprising seems like most politicians think the laws apply to everyone else and aren’t afraid to line their pockets with govt dollars. Be interesting to see if he is getting above market value for the tests And testing he is selling. Hopefully, they don’t pass anything so he can start fining businesses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think in OH, the Public Health Director had her authority "reigned in". It's possible your Governor will not get what he wants. I think our Governor wanted social distance for much longer , but he's reopening our state due to strong demand. Only time will tell if we remain plateaued or see an increase.

I just hope people are responsible with their privileges.

Edited to say..... if this is considered political, please remove it....it's not meant to be a partisan political opinion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's possible to talk about things political without getting personal - this thread has been a good example. We can all have our own opinions about the right or wrong approach to this situation. But hopefully we all believe that nothing is worth sacrificing our constitutional rights. We should all hold our politicians accountable to do their job and to operate within the boundaries established for them. Article 1 Section 1 of the constitution says that "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States" - in other words, the laws are made by the legislatures, not the President or the Governors. All these willy-nilly executive orders need to be eliminated on every level. I realize there is a time and a place for them, but that doesn't mean "so I can do what I want and bypass the Congress".

I think many of them forget that they work for us and not vice versa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, they forget they work for us.
Take THEIR pay away for a couple months and see how they react. I bet things will change pretty quickly. They are so disconnected from their constituents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So everyone in my family is either still working or getting a paycheck. We have been very lucky that way. My daughter who works in tech in SF actually got a raise and a nice bonus 4 weeks ago. Also because I'm in "essential services" ie constructon we got back to work after a very short layoff. Even all our nieces and nephews are collecting paychecks whether they are working or not. For me and most of my family the same age we are more concerned about our investments and don't want to see a long term decrease in their value. For those reasons I support staying home until the medical professionals say it's okay to go out. I totally get it why some people are desperate to start working again and do what they want. I recently read 2% of long care residents have died in Illinois because of Covid-19. If that number went to 4 or 5% but we started working again how would most people feel? I'm guessing it would be acceptable though very unfortunate. Because of our different backgrounds, skills, training, education, and careers there are no easy answers. The only thing I can think of is we need to be respectful and try to help each other as much as we can and stop talking "at" each other, but start talking "to" each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
66% of the people who contracted the virus in New York were people who were sheltered at home. 25% who died were living in nursing home type environments. Here in Pennsylvania, we had a similar death rate in nursing homes. Something is wrong with those results or the mandates that we were told to abide by.

We're sending ventilators to India.

First it was flatten the curve. Now it's wait for a vaccine. They're up to their usual tricks of moving the goalposts to satisfy their agenda.

Looking back, I think we would have been better off if we did what Sweeden did or closer to home... Florida. We should have protected the more vulnerable people and the rest could have just been cautious.

The media has scared the crap out of some of our population. Some people are just gullible or brainwashed from watching certain doom and gloom so-called news outlets.

Yes, for certain there are some more concentrated urban areas that were more dangerous and those people needed to be more cautious, but the rest of the country shouldn't have been as restricted.

I'm 62 and I'm not worried at all. I wear the mask when I go to the store and use my hand sanitizer, but I'm not gonna hide in my basement in fear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am very intrigued with the psychology behind everything in this pandemic. All the different reactions and behaviors. (Buying up all the TP for example.) I've noticed different patterns and reactions to stress and how it changes as more time passes. In the beginning, everyone was kind and trying to help others. Now more and more people are getting angry - whichever "side" they are on. I'm in GA, where we re-opened a bit sooner than perhaps was wise. My latest observation on human behavior is hearing what we want to hear. Supposedly, the re-opening was to be a slow, easing back in to business, with places having new procedures for social distancing. Everyone was encouraged to continue being very cautious and not gathering in big groups. Wear masks to help protect others - yada yada. Well you would think the Governor actually said "the pandemic is over. Do what you want." Because that is happening a LOT! In the grocery store, many people were without masks and there was very little distancing, if any. Graduation parties have started. Perhaps we will find that many people have had it already and are temporarily immune. Maybe the cases will stay low. Who knows? That would be fantastic. But realistically, I have concerns about what we will see in the weeks to come. Or hey - maybe the summer weather really will help keep things at bay. We can hope!

Ask a Question