How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My views on masks changed when I recently diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer.

Sorry to hear that - I hope you have a 100% recovery. And here's the thing - I believe people like you should feel free to wear masks. If I were in your situation, I may do the same thing. But did someone have to mandate it for you to feel that was a good choice? And do you believe the "I don't wear my mask for me, I wear it for you" argument? If so, that mask is allegedly doing you no good at all. Also not arguing - just taking the argument that we now hear every day to it's logical conclusion.

Where did you see that?

It's all over the news. Florida labs were only reporting positive test results and some were inflating their positive results 10-fold. I'm not claiming to know who or why, just repeating what I've been reading.. Some reporter happened to notice the 300 labs that reported the 10% positivity rate and started to investigate. Here's the top three headlines from a google search of "Florida COVID rates" :

Florida hospital admits its COVID positivity rate is 10x lower than first reported

Coronavirus update: Florida labs not reporting negative test results, report says

300 Florida COVID Test Sites Reported False 100% Positivity Rate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My views on masks changed when I was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer. I am undergoing chemo & radiation treatments now and still working in my office most days. I'm now immuno-suppressed so the wearing of masks helps me out. I'm in Texas where the rates keep going up. I only go to work and home now, my grown kids that live with me take care of shopping and any errands (and pond/bog building as well). I'm not looking to argue with anyone on the subject, just my POV changed greatly when my risks if I contract the virus changed. It is a difficult situation and there just aren't easy answers from any direction.

Frankly, I think there are easy answers, our leaders just don't have the political will to execute them. Other countries locked down and their governments funded the closed businesses so they could keep paying their employees. A lot of those countries are done with this already and looking at us like we're stupid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that - I hope you have a 100% recovery. And here's the thing - I believe people like you should feel free to wear masks. If I were in your situation, I may do the same thing. But did someone have to mandate it for you to feel that was a good choice? And do you believe the "I don't wear my mask for me, I wear it for you" argument? If so, that mask is allegedly doing you no good at all. Also not arguing - just taking the argument that we now hear every day to it's logical conclusion.

It's all over the news. Florida labs were only reporting positive test results and some were inflating their positive results 10-fold. I'm not claiming to know who or why, just repeating what I've been reading.. Some reporter happened to notice the 300 labs that reported the 10% positivity rate and started to investigate. Here's the top three headlines from a google search of "Florida COVID rates" :

Florida hospital admits its COVID positivity rate is 10x lower than first reported

Coronavirus update: Florida labs not reporting negative test results, report says

300 Florida COVID Test Sites Reported False 100% Positivity Rate

That just means the positivity rate was inflated, not the actual number of new cases. Florida still has a huge spike.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My views on masks changed when I was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer. I am undergoing chemo & radiation treatments now and still working in my office most days. I'm now immuno-suppressed so the wearing of masks helps me out. I'm in Texas where the rates keep going up. I only go to work and home now, my grown kids that live with me take care of shopping and any errands (and pond/bog building as well). I'm not looking to argue with anyone on the subject, just my POV changed greatly when my risks if I contract the virus changed. It is a difficult situation and there just aren't easy answers from any direction.
How scary for you. Stay safe & well. It's a strange & uncharted world we're all now navigating...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
“Florida Labs Found Significantly Inflating Positive COVID Testing Rate”

interesting news about the Florida “spike”.
It is so political it's friiking disgusting. WAKE UP EVERYONE when they say theres spikes 2 weeks ago 6 states all had 322 new cases on the same day now i could possibly buy into that but they ALL also had 17 deaths . the media has stopped being news and is PROPAGANDA.. Even NY city no longer talks about how many deaths. cats out of the bag.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@exastkc don't know if your already doing this or not but i would try to get a cutting face shield from the depot or maybe even Granger the masks they have out there will do very little for you but the mask along with a face shield will drasticly drop your exposure as it blocks probably the most vulnerable our eyes. if you can't find one this is what i did i bought a hard hat and i purchased some thin plexiglass and i made a quick wooden rim on the brim of the hard hat and secured the plexi to it it did the job . Good luck with your battle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That just means the positivity rate was inflated, not the actual number of new cases. Florida still has a huge spike.
for god sakes you don't think there was as much exposure in every city where protests were going on ? Yeah there is a spike right now but they are inflating a woman i know at quest told me the same thing. and yes it is also the number of new cases they are giving many false positives. There has been over 200 cases around my project and we have not heard of one casualty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frankly, I think there are easy answers, our leaders just don't have the political will to execute them. Other countries locked down and their governments funded the closed businesses so they could keep paying their employees. A lot of those countries are done with this already and looking at us like we're stupid.
We are beyond stupid . Hilary clinton said it the best Never wast a pandemic. FACT Those out there want this country to fall flat on it's face they don't care people are starving . They want to take this country down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought it was a disappointing speech. He needs to close bars and restaurants again, otherwise we're going to end up like Florida and Arizona. The way we're going there's no way schools can open safely next month.
I kind of got the feeling this was his " final warning" before issuing a mandate. I'm concerned his reasonable approach will not convince people to wear masks....even though there is recent information supporting wearing them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Partially true. In many cases they were reporting every single test as a positive. And isn't the positivity rate being accurate equally important since they are using it as a metric for making decisions about businesses and schools and every day life?

People are also reporting that they go to a testing site and sign in and then the wait gets so long that they leave. Without being tested. A day or two later they get a call telling them they tested positive and they need to quarantine. A lab worker in Florida said she saw the crazy results that were being reported so she tried her own experiment - she sent in several tests that weren't even used. They came back positive.

Is the virus real? Yes. Is it really hard on some people? Yes. But how can we trust "the science" when this is the kind of stuff that is going on?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
even though there is recent information supporting wearing them.

@Tula - I hear people saying that over and over again, but I have yet to see any real science to support it. (Other than Bill Nye the science guy blowing out a candle through a mask. Seriously?) I read an article in the NEJM, from late June I believe, that specifically said there was no evidence that masks cut down on transmission. And that In fact the wearing of a mask causes so much face touching that you are negating any small benefit that might result. The article said that the benefit was mostly psychological, as it gave people the illusion of being safe and also reminded them that there was an invisible danger. I'll see if I can find it and post the link, but I'd appreciate seeing anything you've seen that has real science behind it.

I also read today that if you are wearing a mask several things are very important - wash your hands before putting it on, after taking it off and to change a mask any time it gets damp from your breathing into it. Makes you wonder how feasible any of that is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For god sake we have all lived and seen unfortunate deaths from bad flue seasons we did not shut down. WE ARE ONE STEP AWAY FROM BEING ALONG SIDE VENEZUELA total economic shut down you think it's bad now Just wait keep it up.
And that In fact the wearing of a mask causes so much face touching that you are negating any small benefit that might result.
Thank you lisa That is so true i have been through many FIT TESTS for working in chemical , biological or confined spaces. EVEN WHEN TRAINED MANY STILL WEAR THE MASK INCORECTLY and take the mask off with even less care. I know two abestos abatement workers who were always good about the hygiene and wearing the suits and masks but the equipment/ vacuum when they cleaned them they cleaned the inside filter bags but not the outside which had fine particles at least that was the findings as there work practice was investigated. it is beyond difficult to truly be hazmat aware and keeping your self from exposure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The mask thing has become so much about "being considerate" and "showing you care about others"... just show me the science. People equate it with wearing seatbelts (except your seatbelt still works even if I don't wear mine!) or not smoking in public places (which the science CLEARLY supports, but it still took us years to get there). If my mask keeps the virus from leaving MY body, why won't your mask keep it from entering YOUR body? And why now? Why have all these stores and towns and counties and states JUST NOW, when we are months into this pandemic, decided this is the critical step? If this really IS about science, why are we suddenly just figuring it out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Partially true. In many cases they were reporting every single test as a positive. And isn't the positivity rate being accurate equally important since they are using it as a metric for making decisions about businesses and schools and every day life?

People are also reporting that they go to a testing site and sign in and then the wait gets so long that they leave. Without being tested. A day or two later they get a call telling them they tested positive and they need to quarantine. A lab worker in Florida said she saw the crazy results that were being reported so she tried her own experiment - she sent in several tests that weren't even used. They came back positive.

Is the virus real? Yes. Is it really hard on some people? Yes. But how can we trust "the science" when this is the kind of stuff that is going on?

I've heard those stories about people being told they tested positive even after leaving before the actual test but I've never seen it in the actual news, just from social media. So many people will turn anything into a conspiracy theory that I wouldn't believe that without seeing it from a journalistic source I trust.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've heard those stories about people being told they tested positive even after leaving before the actual test but I've never seen it in the actual news, just from social media. So many people will turn anything into a conspiracy theory that I wouldn't believe that without seeing it from a journalistic source I trust.
conspiracy theory PLEASE. All the media today is just that they are media propaganda owned by bazos and others they are not news Ted Copple said it best why do you hate someone that keeps you alive speaking to CNN that there ratings would " be in the toilet" if not for there main target

Last edited:

Ask a Question