How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your answer makes no sense. By mid August Cook County where I live had more deaths than they did than all of last year. So all these additional people died from falling down or other other dangerous things that never killed people before this year? Unfortunately politics has taken over for common sense. If everyone in this country wore a mask for a few weeks we would be done with Covid.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am so tired of being scared after my mother died in early Feb 3rd this year, mostly likely of COVID 19. Back then they would not test unless you were out of country. But the Philippines people who worked there were out of country on Xmas holidays and when they fly back they stop in China and Hong Kong. Two weeks later massive out break started at old folks home on Sunny Side, then moved I was pushing my mom around in mid January and we saw three ambulance's taking people away all at one. Then staff said horrible flu cold killing healthy old people and I was shooked. Then it moved over to Haven View as village is very large and my mom suddenly got sick and could not breathe and was Brain dead before she even got to hospital. She ran out of oxygen when they laid her down for afternoon nap. Nobody even knew she was that sick. It hit her so fast. I had same thing for one night and it was very bad. Felt like somebody was standing on my chest!! But somehow I got better by morning. Probably cause I am younger and very active. After that I was first person to wear a mask at work and got laughed at back then. Now I am no longer afraid as I am sure I had it so scaryness worn off and I no longer wear mask as it is hard to work and breathe in. I work hard in grocery store and never got sick again so maybe I am anmune now ...
I just want to live a normal life now and think the worst is over and COVID 19 appears to be much less deadly here now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm curious what your answer to your own question would be @CometKeith . Cook County had also surpassed it's homicide total for 2019 by early September. Masks aren't going to fix that problem, but maybe allowing people to get back to work will alleviate it.

From the Cook County ME's report in late August:

When announcing that Cook County hit the 10,000 deaths for the year milestone they noted: "This milestone comes as Cook County is coping with more than 5,000 COVID-19 deaths, 282 suicide deaths, 1,400 opioid-related deaths and close to 600 homicides so far this year."

“While COVID-19 deaths make up approximately half of the Medical Examiner’s Office cases for the year, deaths in other categories are soaring as well,” said Dr. Arunkumar. "We are seeing extraordinary numbers of opioid overdoses. We estimate we have already exceeded last year’s total by more than 100. If the current trend continues, we could see as many or even more than 2,000 cases this year.”

Dr. Arunkumar says homicide and suicide deaths are also increasing at an alarming rate. The County is dangerously close to reaching similar homicide levels documented in 2016, a year that surpassed 900. There have been 63 suicides in the Black community so far this year, exceeding the total for all of 2019 with more than four months left in the year."

Lockdown is taking an extraordinary toll on human life in this country. If you maintain that the only axis we need to focus on is the one that measures COVID deaths, then you are not really concerning yourself with the totality of humanity. Suicides and drug overdose deaths are increasing across the entire nation. One report I read said that deaths due to Alzheimer's were up 20% this year, unrelated to COVID and they "weren't sure why". Could it be that loneliness and isolation are deadly to already fragile humans? Or to ANY human? Is it really worse to die of COVID in a nursing home at 85 years old because your family came to visit and passed along a virus than it is to die of despair?

I'll give you my simple answer to your question - it comes down to who do you trust. If you're paying attention, you know that our own COVID death reporting has been terribly flawed. We can't even agree from one state to the next how we're counting COVID deaths. Reports of mis-counting and mishandling of numbers are in the news constantly. Nashville covered up the fact that C-19 WASN'T being spread in restaurants and bars so they could justify their continued lockdown. Amazingly, the day after that was revealed, EVERYTHING could now safely open! Do you honestly believe that's the ONLY place where that happened? Or are they the only ones who got CAUGHT.

The CDC reported that true COVID ONLY deaths were only a tiny percentage of the total. So how do we know how OTHER countries are counting their deaths? Do you trust China to be honest about what's going on there? Are other countries, like our own Illinois Department of Public Health reported, counting COVID deaths as ANYONE who dies of ANY cause who also tested positive 30 days before death or even after they were already dead? And yes that included things like cancer, heart attacks, kidney failure, strokes, but it also included things like vehicle accidents, gun shots, falls and POISONING. Does any of that make sense? Could it come down to the fact that our government made treating COVID patients a money-making proposition for struggling hospitals to meet the bottom line? Every hospital's bread and butter is the elective surgery - stop allowing those and how else were they going to stay afloat? Counting everyone as a COVID patient makes good business sense. Who's counting? The doctors or the business office?

How many of those excess deaths you mentioned can we contribute to delayed or disrupted medical care because people were too afraid to go to the doctor, emergency room, or hospital for care they desperately needed? Was it better to die at home of a heart attack than to risk getting a virus that has - as the CDC reported yesterday - a near 100% survival rate if you are under the age of 70? Better to skip your chemo, dialysis, well baby check ups, mammogram, colonoscopy... better to die of ANYTHING but COVID?

Wear a mask if it makes you feel safe. Just don't put on blinders, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@callingcolleen1 I'm very sorry to hear your mother passed of covid, heartfelt condolences.

FL has some of the highest numbers of covid in the US and their governor just lifted ALL restrictions, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I believe covid has led to increased suicides ( my best friend's 32 year old daughter took her life on July 5th ), depression and isolation among the elderly. My neighbors 94 year old mother stopped eating when her daughter was no longer able to visit and help her eat, and died about three weeks later. . I believe the frustration over lock downs combined with racial injustice protests, have led to more murders.

These things do not prevent us from wearing a mask.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It will be very interesting - and I believe revealing - to see what happens in Florida. Kudos to Governor DeSantis for following the science and encouraging people to get back to the business of living. Someone has to break the stalemate. With the amount of travel into and out of the state, it's not surprising their case count would be high.

But confirmed cases means zero - are they sick? Hospitalized? Dying? (Florida has .04% of their hospital beds housing COVID patients as of Friday. Seems pretty much under control.) Just because someone tests positive doesn't mean they will ever actually get sick. If they aren't sick, why do we care? I know - asymtomatic spread. In June, the WHO said that was rare, then they flip flopped and said they really don't know if it happens, or how often. So why are we so stuck on it, if even "the experts" can't say for sure if, when, or how often it really happens?

Read some of the research on cross-immunities and T-cell immunity. Some very interesting information out there for those who are willing to dig for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your answer makes no sense. By mid August Cook County where I live had more deaths than they did than all of last year. So all these additional people died from falling down or other other dangerous things that never killed people before this year? Unfortunately politics has taken over for common sense. If everyone in this country wore a mask for a few weeks we would be done with Covid.
Let's agree to disagree youll believe what ever they tell you and i will question all the science they try to pour down are throats. And end this there you have you beliefs and i dont believe a word they say. The SURVIVAL RATE TODAY IS 99.9 % FOR THOSE UNDER THE AGE OF 65 YOU WANT TO BELIEVE CNN BULL AND OTHER SOURCES THEN BY ALL MEANS GO FOR IT IM WAY DONE BEING TOLD TO BE AFFRAID AND LUSTEN TO US . THIS WHOLE THING HAS COME DOEN TO THE UNITED STATES WAS THE LARGEST THREAT TO EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD DUE TO OUR FREEDOMS AND SOMEONE "MANY" WANT TO TAKE THESE AWAY SO GO FOR IT FOLLOW ALONG I DID FOR A SHORT PERIOD UNTILL THE TRUTH LEAKED OUT ....... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

"If everyone in this country wore a mask for a few weeks we would be done with Covid."
Omg what a blind following statement that is. So we are all to be concerned about vapor droplets well let's see your in your car you cough or sneeze in your hand your all alone then you pump your gas minutes later but thats OK . You use the key pad to buy your groceries but that's OK OR YOU GO TO THE ATM but thats OK. WAKE UP.
Maybe your numbers are high did your experts send someone elderly to the hospital to get tested then send them back to the nurcing home. And infect everyone like ny did they had 42% of all the deaths in this country in the begining due to this policy. THIS WILL ALL END WHEN WE STOP FEARING 500 NEW CASES IN DAY OUT OF A MILLION PEOPLE IN THE AREA.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am so tired of being scared after my mother died in early Feb 3rd this year, mostly likely of COVID 19. Back then they would not test unless you were out of country. But the Philippines people who worked there were out of country on Xmas holidays and when they fly back they stop in China and Hong Kong. Two weeks later massive out break started at old folks home on Sunny Side, then moved I was pushing my mom around in mid January and we saw three ambulance's taking people away all at one. Then staff said horrible flu cold killing healthy old people and I was shooked. Then it moved over to Haven View as village is very large and my mom suddenly got sick and could not breathe and was Brain dead before she even got to hospital. She ran out of oxygen when they laid her down for afternoon nap. Nobody even knew she was that sick. It hit her so fast. I had same thing for one night and it was very bad. Felt like somebody was standing on my chest!! But somehow I got better by morning. Probably cause I am younger and very active. After that I was first person to wear a mask at work and got laughed at back then. Now I am no longer afraid as I am sure I had it so scaryness worn off and I no longer wear mask as it is hard to work and breathe in. I work hard in grocery store and never got sick again so maybe I am anmune now ...
I just want to live a normal life now and think the worst is over and COVID 19 appears to be much less deadly here now.
I am sorry to hear you lost your mom collen At least it was not a long prolonged event for you both. Still a heart breaking event and I am sorry, your family got hit with this.

I have to agree it in the begining was a unknown and it had got everyone's feathers ruffled myself included i worked in very hot and skyrocketing numbers in the begining. And we tried to be cautious but now its obvious the officials are ignoring the facts and will do anything to keep people in fear. Again I am sorry for you and your family, and your loss.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
@callingcolleen1 I'm very sorry to hear your mother passed of covid, heartfelt condolences.

FL has some of the highest numbers of covid in the US and their governor just lifted ALL restrictions, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I believe covid has led to increased suicides ( my best friend's 32 year old daughter took her life on July 5th ), depression and isolation among the elderly. My neighbors 94 year old mother stopped eating when her daughter was no longer able to visit and help her eat, and died about three weeks later. . I believe the frustration over lock downs combined with racial injustice protests, have led to more murders.

These things do not prevent us from wearing a mask.
I know it must be very hard on old folks left in home with no visitors. My mom passed before they made restrictions. I would have lost my mind if I could not go see my mom daily and give her CBD.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if anyone here remembers the anthrax mailings ? They placed anthrax into a simple letter envelope and mailed it . This shut down mail rooms buildings and sorting and delivery vehicles
WHY ???????? Because anthrax is so small much like covid a VIRUS the weave of paper fibers which is by far tighter then 75 percent of all the masks people are using today. The anthrax envelope did not need to be opened but simply brought to an area where you were and the exposure was probable.
Now if everyone was to wear a TRUE respirator for say asbestos fibers and we all disposed of the cartridges in a bio Hazzard bag every day while wearing gloves and a tyvek suit maybe we could take a big bite out of it. FAT CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm curious what your answer to your own question would be @CometKeith . Cook County had also surpassed it's homicide total for 2019 by early September. Masks aren't going to fix that problem, but maybe allowing people to get back to work will alleviate it.

From the Cook County ME's report in late August:

When announcing that Cook County hit the 10,000 deaths for the year milestone they noted: "This milestone comes as Cook County is coping with more than 5,000 COVID-19 deaths, 282 suicide deaths, 1,400 opioid-related deaths and close to 600 homicides so far this year."

“While COVID-19 deaths make up approximately half of the Medical Examiner’s Office cases for the year, deaths in other categories are soaring as well,” said Dr. Arunkumar. "We are seeing extraordinary numbers of opioid overdoses. We estimate we have already exceeded last year’s total by more than 100. If the current trend continues, we could see as many or even more than 2,000 cases this year.”

Dr. Arunkumar says homicide and suicide deaths are also increasing at an alarming rate. The County is dangerously close to reaching similar homicide levels documented in 2016, a year that surpassed 900. There have been 63 suicides in the Black community so far this year, exceeding the total for all of 2019 with more than four months left in the year."

Lockdown is taking an extraordinary toll on human life in this country. If you maintain that the only axis we need to focus on is the one that measures COVID deaths, then you are not really concerning yourself with the totality of humanity. Suicides and drug overdose deaths are increasing across the entire nation. One report I read said that deaths due to Alzheimer's were up 20% this year, unrelated to COVID and they "weren't sure why". Could it be that loneliness and isolation are deadly to already fragile humans? Or to ANY human? Is it really worse to die of COVID in a nursing home at 85 years old because your family came to visit and passed along a virus than it is to die of despair?

I'll give you my simple answer to your question - it comes down to who do you trust. If you're paying attention, you know that our own COVID death reporting has been terribly flawed. We can't even agree from one state to the next how we're counting COVID deaths. Reports of mis-counting and mishandling of numbers are in the news constantly. Nashville covered up the fact that C-19 WASN'T being spread in restaurants and bars so they could justify their continued lockdown. Amazingly, the day after that was revealed, EVERYTHING could now safely open! Do you honestly believe that's the ONLY place where that happened? Or are they the only ones who got CAUGHT.

The CDC reported that true COVID ONLY deaths were only a tiny percentage of the total. So how do we know how OTHER countries are counting their deaths? Do you trust China to be honest about what's going on there? Are other countries, like our own Illinois Department of Public Health reported, counting COVID deaths as ANYONE who dies of ANY cause who also tested positive 30 days before death or even after they were already dead? And yes that included things like cancer, heart attacks, kidney failure, strokes, but it also included things like vehicle accidents, gun shots, falls and POISONING. Does any of that make sense? Could it come down to the fact that our government made treating COVID patients a money-making proposition for struggling hospitals to meet the bottom line? Every hospital's bread and butter is the elective surgery - stop allowing those and how else were they going to stay afloat? Counting everyone as a COVID patient makes good business sense. Who's counting? The doctors or the business office?

How many of those excess deaths you mentioned can we contribute to delayed or disrupted medical care because people were too afraid to go to the doctor, emergency room, or hospital for care they desperately needed? Was it better to die at home of a heart attack than to risk getting a virus that has - as the CDC reported yesterday - a near 100% survival rate if you are under the age of 70? Better to skip your chemo, dialysis, well baby check ups, mammogram, colonoscopy... better to die of ANYTHING but COVID?

Wear a mask if it makes you feel safe. Just don't put on blinders, too.
Hi Lisa. So nice to hear from you. I hope we can still be friends after Covid is over. I miss your contributions on my thread. I hope you and your family are okay. We will all get through this! Keith

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We still just stay away from everybody, the only time we relax a tiny bit is when at the boat open blowing air all around us. We are lucky, no kids in school, no job to go to, unlucky being in the bad age for this virus.

We personally will not go into a restaurant, we do order carry out now and then, but get rid of the containers, transfer the food, wash hands then eat. We were never big restaurant eaters before all this. Are we over protective?, maybe, will we continue doing the same? yes I have two yorkies that need me.

We are of the age we might or most likely will die if we get it. Hubby has some health issues that will make him more vulnerable to dying.
If all us old folks die off you young folks will have more funds to support you, social security wise, when you get old, more nursing homes open, more senior living areas empty.

So we will continue following the science, the warnings posted by the health officials. We double mask if in stores, wear the heavy duty ones that are hard to breath through with another mask over it. Also wear eye protection. Wash hands wash hands wash hands

This will be our path until there is a vaccine that is proven to be safe and effective.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"Most likely die"? If you're following the science, you'd know that it's FAR more likely you'll survive the virus. If you're in the "worst" possible category, statistically speaking - over the age of 80 with co-morbidities - you have around a 5% chance of dying, if you even get infected. But I think it's also important to remember - if you're over the age of 80 with co-morbidities, your chance of dying OF ANYTHING is already off the charts.

I won't argue with how you choose to live your life, and actually if I were in your position, I would do much of the same, (well - I'd keep myself out of crowds anyway, especially during flu season) but saying you are "most likely to die" is an overstatement of the actual science. We hear about the 29 year old or the 34 year old or the 59 year old who dies because it's deemed newsworthy - because it's rare. Like the old news adage - dog bites man, not news. Man bites dog - now that's news.

There's so much good news out there about COVID when it comes to Case Fatality Rates, among other things. You won't hear it unless you did deep though - good news doesn't sell papers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just want to add my 2 cents. I don't like it when I see people criticizing other people for how they are handling this Covid (not directed at you Lisa) I don't understand why they feel the need to. It doesn't affect their life whether someone is staying home, or wearing a mask all the time or overloading on disinfecting everything. And quoting statistics, you can go to 5 different websites and get 5 different opinions on the statistics. They just don't know. When this first came out, everyone started wearing masks. They said not to. Now they make you. They said once you get it, you won't get it again. Than someone says they tested positive twice.

I think whatever makes you feel secure and comfortable, do it. For me, staying home all the time would be worse for me mentaly. I am over 60 and have lung problems. I don't go out at much as I use to before Covid. I avoid crowds. And if the sign says "wear a mask" I wear it. If there is no sign, I don't. You touch everything a hundred people already touched at the store. Makes no sense to go home and wash your hands than go grab a bag of chips that how many people already touched from making them til they end up on the store shelves. None of these rules make sense to me. But, I will continue to follow whatever rules they put in place. And I will continue to not judge people who live their own lives the way that makes sense to them.

*Edit* This is a great thread. I just wish people could come on here and say what they are doing and talk about it without being criticized for their decisions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
unlucky being in the bad age for this virus.
I know a couple people who's aged parents like your self are not still. One is 85 the other was 78 and they both had two weeks much like the flue aches , chills, hard to breath. But both have over come it and are back at it one is still even working . You and your hubby are hardly couch potatoes. I kn I w you'll not test out these words but its where the facts are leading. All I know is what it takes to remodel and to be honest there's more people in there 30s and 40 who cant do what you and hubby get acomplished.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My biggest fear is my hubby bringing it home to me. There is a big age difference between us. I am retired, he has a ways to go before he retires. He just told me today that the guy he works with, his daughter tested positive. She works in the office. And this guy's Mom just died from it over the weekend. When he gets home, he goes straight to the shower. But, it's still scary. I feel like meeting him at the door with a can of Lysol :oops:

Ask a Question