How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't seen criticism for any individual's choice here @Sunshine . I've said repeatedly I don't care what other people do. I care deeply about liberty and free choice. Some feel it's selfish (not here, but in general) to apply liberty to this situation, but I don't believe we should ever turn our backs when our government is acting outside of the boundaries. Many compare wearing a mask to wearing a seat belt - people don't like doing it, but it's for their own good and the good of others, etc. The difference is seat belt laws were debated and voted on and became law.

And I agree with you 100% - you can find all kinds of data to back whichever side you are leaning toward. So when people say "Follow the science" I think it's fair to say "OK. But WHICH science?" There is no ONE science that covers COVID.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't seen criticism for any individual's choice here @Sunshine . I've said repeatedly I don't care what other people do. I care deeply about liberty and free choice. Some feel it's selfish (not here, but in general) to apply liberty to this situation, but I don't believe we should ever turn our backs when our government is acting outside of the boundaries. Many compare wearing a mask to wearing a seat belt - people don't like doing it, but it's for their own good and the good of others, etc. The difference is seat belt laws were debated and voted on and became law.

And I agree with you 100% - you can find all kinds of data to back whichever side you are leaning toward. So when people say "Follow the science" I think it's fair to say "OK. But WHICH science?" There is no ONE science that covers COVID.

Maybe it was a poor choice of words from me. When I see "buying into the fear" to me that is saying that if you wear a mask and stay away from people you are being criticized cause you're doing what they "government" want you to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that's all part of the debate. Some people do believe it's a lot of hype - not that the virus isn't real, but that the virus is being used for political purposes to gain control. I think there's evidence that's true, as in the Nashville situation I shared earlier. Time will tell I guess.

I have an itch to survey people I see on the street: have you ever worn a mask before COVID-19? Do you do it because you believe it's helping or because someone is telling you that you have to? Do you think the science on masks is settled?

Today we had some errands to run in the "Big City". We were going to go to a favorite spot for lunch, walked in and were greeted with - sorry, we can't let you eat inside. Carry out only. The Big City is allowing such a low capacity it's not worth it for them to open their dining room. Drove literally two miles, got back out of the car, went inside another restaurant and ate lunch. All the tables were full, although they had fewer tables inside as they had moved a number of them outside for those who preferred to eat outdoors. (In an enclosed tent. I mean, it was 53 degrees out!) I guess the COVID won't cross the border into the suburbs. I wonder how many of those diners drove from The City to eat lunch there? Nobody asked us where we came from.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"Most likely die"? If you're following the science, you'd know that it's FAR more likely you'll survive the virus
Well in my humble opinion, we prefer to error on the side of caution, refuse to gamble with our lives. We could easily be on the wrong side of survival. And a lot of those that have survived have heart issues, lung issues even some have brain issues. I like the level of health I have at this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well in my humble opinion, we prefer to error on the side of caution, refuse to gamble with our lives. We could easily be on the wrong side of survival. And a lot of those that have survived have heart issues, lung issues even some have brain issues. I like the level of health I have at this time.

I agree 100%. Also I have no interest in spending any time in a hospital even if I do survive. I have more useful things to do with my time.

We are at least as cautious as you. I wear a good respirator and goggles on the rare occasions I venture out. All my groceries are delivered with Instacart. I like it so much that I will continue to use it even when it is no longer needed. Less time wasted shopping for me and I am helping others by providing a job for them. All mail and deliveries are set aside for a few days. I value my peace of mind knowing that I have minimized my risk. My lifestyle hasn't changed much at all and I want to keep it that way.

There is still too much unknown about this virus. The science is evolving and there are a lot of good minds working on this worldwide. We will see more and better answers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some people do appear to have residual issues - that's true. And there are a lot of questions as to whether those residual effects are directly related to COVID or related to the treatment people are getting while hospitalized. Or related to issues that people had prior to getting sick. We may figure that stuff out, or we may never know. Who remembers the residual effects of H1N1? Same thing - heart, respiratory, or even neurological damage. We just weren't inundated with the information on a daily basis for months on end so it wasn't something anyone dwelled on. In fact, we all carried on with our lives, not even really caring that we were in the midst of a worldwide pandemic caused by a novel virus. Why so different this time?

Again - I honestly don't care what individuals do. If you can isolate yourself and continue to live your life, and that's not causing you or anyone else any issues, why would anyone care? The people I worry about are the kids who can't go to school, families who can't function because kids can't go to school, people who need to work to support themselves and their families, small business owners who are losing everything... We're talking the potential for generational failure at this point. Everyone should be concerned about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I do consider myself fortunate to be able to self isolate with minimal consequences. Most of us are concerned about the kids and small businesses. That is one reason for recommendations for universal mask wearing recommendations which is really a small inconvenience with a potential for a significant impact on the virus while we wait for more and better science.

In my opinion the best way to help those less fortunate than I is to take a more aggressive approach. Pay now or pay later. Our wimpy response is a recipe for a long drawn out experience.

Some people do appear to have residual issues - that's true. And there are a lot of questions as to whether those residual effects are directly related to COVID or related to the treatment people are getting while hospitalized. Or related to issues that people had prior to getting sick. We may figure that stuff out, or we may never know. Who remembers the residual effects of H1N1? Same thing - heart, respiratory, or even neurological damage. We just weren't inundated with the information on a daily basis for months on end so it wasn't something anyone dwelled on. In fact, we all carried on with our lives, not even really caring that we were in the midst of a worldwide pandemic caused by a novel virus. Why so different this time?

Again - I honestly don't care what individuals do. If you can isolate yourself and continue to live your life, and that's not causing you or anyone else any issues, why would anyone care? The people I worry about are the kids who can't go to school, families who can't function because kids can't go to school, people who need to work to support themselves and their families, small business owners who are losing everything... We're talking the potential for generational failure at this point. Everyone should be concerned about that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know two folks one 75 one 80s who contracted coved . Well I don't know them but work associates do and both " Were active still working etc. Like your self addy your hardy a sit idoly bye. I know what it takes to remodel and you apparently are in better shape th we n most 40 year olds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pay now or pay later. Our wimpy response is a recipe for a long drawn out experience.

It's also being argued that the lockdown itself was the recipe for a long drawn out experience. Many experts believe the better approach would be an initial lockdown to give the medical system a chance to gird their loins - remember "15 days to flatten the curve"? - and then just let it roll over us like a wave. Protect the most vulnerable and let the rest of society go about living. With no lockdown, the H1N1 pandemic took 19 months to burn itself out. We can't lockdown long enough to avoid COVID forever. It's just not practical.

Although now DeBlasio says NYC will not be out of lockdown until "all the numbers are zero". There's a recipe to kill a city.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I went to the meat market and a convenient store today. Both took their "wear a mask" down. I think most are over the whole thing. Yes, they never shut down the country during the H1N1, why was this so different? I don't get it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What people don't see is how absolutely powerful a handful of people have become in silicone Valley. Amazon was wize to the loop holes of the internet . The rule was if there was no physical address in a state then there was no tax. This is tge basis of the war between bozos and Trump. Look at how private organizations are stepping in to bail out criminals. These people could never spend a weekend with these individuals that they claim to save. All they want is to make the system look one sided. For three years We watched pressure put on the president far beyond any three other presidents combined. Hillary said it best and truthfully NEVER WASTE A PANDEMIC. And since this started they have no other agenda. Seems odd how for three years some were always in the news attacking and now not so much other then this Pandemic. Should not a Pandemic be where we all know a dozen people or more who got deathly ill ? We all know a host of people who get the flue when it comes around and we do our best to avoid it but many fail but Most survive. If people wear a mask all there life they will do the complete opposite then they hoped for . There immune system will weaken substantially.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm honestly curious. For those opposed to measures taken to date, what are your ideas for control of the virus and reopening of schools, nursing homes, businesses etc. I am respectfully curiousous.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, they never shut down the country during the H1N1, why was this so different? I don't get it.

per the net posted a bit ago, since we are now over 200k dead, if you believe the numbers

And while the H1N1 cases appear to outnumber COVID-19 cases, at least for now, the swine flu doesn't come anywhere close to being as deadly.

52c269bb-94ed-4eab-8216-76767999981e_1140x641.png

Credit: KVUE

The U.S. has seen close to 142,000 COVID-19 deaths in just six months. In the first year of the swine flu outbreak, there were only about 12,500 deaths nationwide.

Ask a Question