How deep for a wildlife pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm looking into buying a pre-formed pond. I have found a Bermuda Beach preformed pond of 135 cm x 108 cm x 32 cm. (I have limited space). I have read that wildlife ponds need to be shallow, but this is 32 cm only in its deepest part. I am concerned that that is too shallow. I would really appreciate any advice.
Many thanks

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.

About 12.5 inches deep, will need to be monitored more closely for water evaporation. but unless you are trying to keep fish in it, should be ok. A liner pond can offer more flexibility on depth and design if desired.

This the one you are looking at? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bermuda-Beach-Pre-formed-135cm-Litres/dp/B071G35NJ8
Thank you very much!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello. I'm looking into buying a pre-formed pond. I have found a Bermuda Beach preformed pond of 135 cm x 108 cm x 32 cm. (I have limited space). I have read that wildlife ponds need to be shallow, but this is 32 cm only in its deepest part. I am concerned that that is too shallow. I would really appreciate any advice.
Many thanks
Mine is only about that deep but I live in an area where we don't get a lot of hot weather. We get some but only for a few days at a time usually and it gets shade from big evergreen trees in the hottest part of the day. This Summer has been a bit warmer for longer periods but I haven't had to add much water to my wildlife pond. It has no fish in it.
The frogs and bird seem to like it :smuggrin:

IMG_0544.JPG

Got my first Water Lily bloom this Summer thanks to @addy1

IMG_0546.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is only about that deep but I live in an area where we don't get a lot of hot weather. We get some but only for a few days at a time usually and it gets shade from big evergreen trees in the hottest part of the day. This Summer has been a bit warmer for longer periods but I haven't had to add much water to my wildlife pond. It has no fish in it.
The frogs and bird seem to like it :smuggrin:

View attachment 160126

Got my first Water Lily bloom this Summer thanks to @addy1

View attachment 160127
Thank you! It looks great!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.

About 12.5 inches deep, will need to be monitored more closely for water evaporation. but unless you are trying to keep fish in it, should be ok. A liner pond can offer more flexibility on depth and design if desired.

This the one you are looking at? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bermuda-Beach-Pre-formed-135cm-Litres/dp/B071G35NJ8
Thank you very much for this. Yes, that is the one I was looking at, but perhaps I should consider a liner. The pdf you attached is really helpful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

A liner pond is easier. Preform ones can be a pain, to get level, heaving, etc.

With a liner pond you could make one end deeper with a shallow walk out at the other end. Add shelves that you cover with rocks that come out of the pond. Hides the liner well and critter climb outs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum!

A liner pond is easier. Preform ones can be a pain, to get level, heaving, etc.
Actually I just wanted to update that I have decided to do just that now!

With a liner pond you could make one end deeper with a shallow walk out at the other end. Add shelves that you cover with rocks that come out of the pond. Hides the liner well and critter climb outs.
Ok, thank you!

Last edited:

Ask a Question