How deep is your pond and how deep would you suggest?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm located in the Cleveland Ohio area and I'm looking to make a below-ground and above ground pond for my koi. My plans for this pond our 10' by 6' wide And I'm hoping to dig down 3 ft and do 1' above ground. I just want to know if that would be deep enough to be able to house my koi in during the winter. It does get pretty cold in Ohio typically in the '30s and sometimes the teens. Please let me know your feedback because if I could dig 2 ft down instead of three that would be a little more ideal but I want to do what's right for the fish obviously. Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 12 koi at the moment but I'm looking to keep 5 to 7 koi long term, in this out door pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3 foot is what i feel is minimum in cold weather areas but we have seen some that are only 2 feet deep. if a foot is above grade it will chill the water far more than is below grade

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would go larger if possible. With those measurements you are at about 1750 gallons. Ok for 2-3 full grown koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
3 foot is what i feel is minimum in cold weather areas but we have seen some that are only 2 feet deep. if a foot is above grade it will chill the water far more than is below gra

3 foot is what i feel is minimum in cold weather areas but we have seen some that are only 2 feet deep. if a foot is above grade it will chill the water far more than is below grade
Okay thank you for your feedback 3 ft is ideal for me but we'll see how the digging goes I guess lol also I was going to insulate the walls before I put the pond liner down do you think that would make any difference during the winter on the above part? Maybe it will maybe it won't I guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go larger if possible. With those measurements you are at about 1750 gallons. Ok for 2-3 full grown koi.
Two to three full size koi still won't be disappointing to me haha And I believe it's best for any fish but what's with all these koi ponds that are maybe 12 ft by 12 ft with it seems like 25 or more in them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another question what size bottom drain would you recommend? Sorry if I'm asking beginner annoying questions but that's who I am this week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay thank you for your feedback 3 ft is ideal for me but we'll see how the digging goes I guess lol also I was going to insulate the walls before I put the pond liner down do you think that would make any difference during the winter on the above part? Maybe it will maybe it won't I guess.
it will help sure, how much most sheet foam has minimal r values but there's no harm in it. just don't use the white little ball stuff termites love to build there homes in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another question what size bottom drain would you recommend? Sorry if I'm asking beginner annoying questions but that's who I am this week.
pipe size minimum of 3 inch and there should be two on the same pipe so no one can get stuck to the drain and held underwater. it's a code thing look it up for your area.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Two to three full size koi still won't be disappointing to me haha And I believe it's best for any fish but what's with all these koi ponds that are maybe 12 ft by 12 ft with it seems like 25 or more in them.
Have you seen those ponds in person and for a length of time. Eventually those ponds will fail, as the koi will overwhelm the system. The pluses and negatives of the internet, so much info at your finger tips, but you need to parse through it as any idiot can put info on it and say it is factual. Define successfully keeping a koi pond, as well, is it a couple years or is it for the life of the denizens of the pond, for most it is the latter.

As for your depth, if you are going 3’ down and 1’ up that is more than deep enough for your area, even though 1’ is above ground, imo the chilling of the water will be minimal during winter time. I have fish make it in above ground tubs with nothing but a pond breather keeping them alive, I am in a slightly warmer zone, but go through similar winters with temps in the teens or the single digits.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would add one caveat about the "deeper" part - for me it was important that I could safely get in the pond and work and that I could reach the bottom with a net to clean out debris. Any deeper than three feet would have made that a challenge. Water volume is important though so I would suggest larger rather than keep going deeper. Increased size also gives you something else that's critical - increased surface area which leads to the next point.

I've seen dozens and dozens of ponds in the Chicago area - much colder than your winters and for much longer periods of time - that are 24 inches deep and house fish all winter long. HOWEVER - the total volume of the water, the surface area of the pond and the biomass of the fish are all important components as well when you are keeping fish in a pond covered with ice for weeks at a time. Goldfish will do fine in a pond that would be deadly to koi in the same pond for example.

As for those that keep an insane number of fish in a small pond - they have an insane amount of filtration on that pond. Filtration that they monitor and clean constantly. If your goal is a DKP (dedicated koi pond) then you'll have a whole lot of research to do on the type of filtration needed for a pond of that type, which is more a swimming pool for koi. Not the same as what most have here - eco style garden ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also keep in mind that you're only going to get that max volume (@mrsclem calculated 1750 gal) if the sides are perfectly vertical. If the sides are sloping and/or you have any step-ups or shelves for plants, that's going to reduce the volume. I have a similar-sized pond that I calculate at only 700 gallons because of this.

Ask a Question