How Do I Calculate Amount Of Rock For Waterfall and Stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
After much manual labor I have completed the dirt portion of my stream and waterfall. Dirt in place, nice berm and all compacted to avoid issues later on. The stream varies from 1.5 to 3 feet in width and the waterfall is 2.5 feet high. I have incorporated some small pools and turns to make it interesting and am now in the process of placing the spillway box and liner.

I cannot find any clear calculation for how much rock/gravel I need to complete the project. I have seen numbers ranging from .75 tons to 1.5 tons per 10 feet of stream but no mention of stream width.

Delivery will cost me $125 dollars not to mention cost of stone. I'd rather have too much then not enough.

Any thoughts on tonnage needed?

Initially I was gong to just buy a few rocks at a time to place in the pickup but this would take quite a long time to complete.

Any thoughts on this?

Much bigger project then I had imagined but it is a labor (and cost) of love. Pics to follow !!

Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just bought a few pallets. Three maybe 4 i think, two field stone, one mixed lg boulders, one sm boulders.

You can never have too many rocks

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Try to get a rough estimate of the volume you will need, L x W x H. Break it down into sections to make it easier. Volume will depend on your desired design and aesthetic. Weight will depend on the type/size of stone you are interested in. These guys mention helping convert the volume to the tonnage: https://www.wa-rock.com/how-many-cubic-yards-do-i-need/

After rocking my pond, which I did piecemeal, from my own yard and a friend with rockpile on his farm, I developed a new appreciation for rocks. Nice to have different sizes as addy mentioned as you are fitting everything together.

Ask a Question